Calaveras County, California Genealogy
Guide to Calaveras County California genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Calaveras County, North Dakota|
Location in the state of North Dakota
Location of North Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||February 18, 1850|
|County Seat||San Andreas|
|Address|| Calaveras County Courthouse; 891 Mountain Ranch Rd; |
San Andreas, CA 95249
Phone: 209.754.6376 Calaveras County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Historical Facts
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Bible Records
- 4.2 Biography
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church History and Records
- 4.6 Court Records
- 4.7 Crime and Criminals
- 4.8 Directories
- 4.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 4.10 Gazetteers
- 4.11 Genealogy
- 4.12 History
- 4.13 Land and Property
- 4.14 Maps
- 4.15 Migration
- 4.16 Military History and Records
- 4.17 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 4.18 Newspapers
- 4.19 Obituaries
- 4.20 Passenger Records
- 4.21 Periodicals
- 4.22 Probate Records
- 4.23 Repositories
- 4.24 Societies
- 4.25 Taxation
- 4.26 Vital Records
- 4.27 Voting Registers
- 5 Web Sites
- 6 References
County Recorder has birth records from 1860, marriage, death and divorce records from 1882, probate and court records from 1866, land records from 1852 & mining claims from 1850
18 February 1850: Calaveras County was created as an original county. County seat: San Andreas 
- Billion Graves
- Calaveras County Tombstone Inscription Project
- Cyndi's List California Cemeteries and Funeral Homes
- Veterans Burial Locations
For tips on accessing Calaveras County, California Genealogy census records online, see: California Census.
Church History and Records
Crime and Criminals
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
- California Trail 1844 to 1869 from western Missouri to northern California
- Carson (River) Trail 1848 (aka Mormon Emigrant Trail) crossed the Forty Mile Desert past the west side of the Carson Sink to pick up the Carson River near Fallon, Nevada up to Hope Valley and Red Lake. The Devil's Ladder then climbed 700 feet (210 m) in half a mile so ropes, chains, and pulleys were required to lift the wagons. Carson Pass was followed by the relatively easy West Pass (Kirkwood, California) and then on to Pollock Pines, Placerville, and Sutter's Fort, California
- Big Tree Road (Ebbetts Pass) 1851 from western Nevada to Markleeville, Murphys, and Stockton, California
Military History and Records
Naturalization and Citizenship
- California Northern U.S. District Court Naturalization Index, 1852-1989
- California San Diego Naturalization Index, 1868-1958
- California Southern District Court (Central) Naturalization Index, 1915-1976
- California, Los Angeles Passenger Lists, 1907-1948
- California, San Francisco Passenger Lists, 1893-1953
The county clerk is usually the custodian of probate records. The records include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
You can obtain copies of the original probate records (such as wills and estate files) by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for California - Calaveras - Probate records.
Archives, Libraries and Museums
Family History Centers
- California Birth Index, 1905-1995
- California Births and Christenings, 1812-1988
- California Marriages, 1850-1945
- Marriages from 1854-1877
Western States Marriage Index
- California Marriage Index, 1960-1985
- California County Marriages, 1850-1952
- California Death Index, 1905-1939
- California Death Index, 1940-1997
- California, San Francisco Area Funeral Home Records, 1835-1931
- Calaveras County CAGenWeb
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Archives backup site
- FamilySearch Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Calaveras County, California. Page 84 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- National Park Service, "California Trail" (map) in California National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/cali/planyourvisit/upload/CALImap1-web.pdf (accessed 5 August 2011).
- Wikipedia contributors, "California Trail" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_Trail (accessed 5 August 2012).