Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana Genealogy
- 1 Parish Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Calcasieu Parish Police Jury
1015 Pithon Street
PO Box 1583
Lake Charles, LA 70602
The Police Jury is the governing authority of the Parish.
The name Calcasieu (pronounced Cal-ca-shoo) comes from the Atakapan word, "quelqueshue", meaning "crying eagle". It was originally the name of an Atakapa chief, but became the name given to what was formerly the Rio Hondo River (Rio Stondo or "Deep River"), now the Calcasieu River. The parish then inherited this name. 
- 1840--Calcasieu Parish was created 24 March 1840 from St. Landry Parish, one of the original nineteen civil parishes established by the Legislature in 1807. Parish seat: Lake Charles 
- Cameron Parish set off 15 March 1870, from the south portion of Calcasieu
- part set off for Jefferson Davis Parish 12 June 1912
- part set off for Beauregard Parish 12 Jun 1912
- Various parts taken to add to other existing parishes, Rapides 1852, St. Landry 1852, Vermilion 1871, Allen 1912
The parish courthouse was destroyed by a disastrous fire on April 23, 1910, as well as most of downtown Lake Charles, and many of the records of the parish were burned or damaged.
Places / Localities
- Cities: DeQuincy . Lake Charles . Sulphur . Westlake
- Towns: Iowa . Vinton
- Communities: Bells City . Carlyss . Gillis . Moss Bluff . Mossville. Prien . Starks
Neighboring Parishes or Counties
Societies and Libraries
- FamilySearch.org Family History Library Catalog for Calcasieu Parish.
- The Calcasieu Parish LAGenWeb Project, an member of The LAGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).