Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana Genealogy

From FamilySearch Wiki
Revision as of 03:11, 7 November 2010 by Aberksan (talk | contribs)

Jump to: navigation, search

United States  > Louisiana > Calcasieu Parish

Parish Courthouse

Template:RAOGKcourthouse Calcasieu Parish Police Jury
1015 Pithon Street
PO Box 1583
Lake Charles, LA 70602

The Police Jury is the governing authority of the Parish.

Note: Records going back 100 years only are housed by the Health Unit.

Phone: 337-478-6020


The name Calcasieu (pronounced Cal-ca-shoo) comes from the Atakapan word, "quelqueshue", meaning "crying eagle". It was originally the name of an Atakapa chief, but became the name given to what was formerly the Rio Hondo River (Rio Stondo or "Deep River"), now the Calcasieu River. The parish then inherited this name. [1]

Parent Parish

  • 1840--Calcasieu Parish was created 24 March 1840 from St. Landry Parish, one of the original nineteen civil parishes established by the Legislature in 1807. Parish seat: Lake Charles [2]

Boundary Changes

Record Loss

The parish courthouse was destroyed by a disastrous fire on April 23, 1910, as well as most of downtown Lake Charles, and many of the records of the parish were burned or damaged.

Places / Localities

Populated Places

Neighboring Parishes or Counties



Census Information

Year   Linkto Census Text
Link to Census Image
1840 Census
1840 Census - Text 1840 Census - Images
1850 1850 Census - Text



Local Histories





Lake Charles American Press - Online subscriptions or day passes to the ePaper allow users to search the entire archives.



Vital Records

Societies and Libraries




Web Sites


  1. Wikipedia
  2. The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).