Caldwell County, Texas Genealogy
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 History
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 Resources
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
Caldwell County Courthouse
110 S Main Street
Lockhart, TX 78644
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903,
marriage and land records from 1848 and court records;
District Clerk has divorce records
This is the third courthouse built on this site. The cornerstone was laid on August 15, 1893 and the building was completed on March 19, 1894. Built by the architectural firm of Martin, Byrnes and Johnston, the structure features mansard roofs and a high central tower with a four way Seth Thomas clock. The three-story edifice is built of Muldoon limestone with red Pecos sandstone trim. Although originally equiped with electricity, the courthouse had no indoor plumbing. Broom closets were later converted into restrooms. It is said that when the first water bill was received, the county judge was so shocked at the charges that he padlocked the restrooms. After a ten year effort involving hundreds of people in the county, a complete historic restoration was completed in the spring of 2000.
The first settlers received land grants from the Mexican government between 1831 and 1835.
Places / Localities
- Caldwell County Cemeteries from the Caldwell County TXGenWeb site
- Plum Creek Cemetery, Luling BillionGraves
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site
- Caldwell County Birth Records from the Caldwell County TXGenWeb site
- Caldwell County Marriages 1848-2001 from the Caldwell County TXGenWeb site
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903
Societies and Libraries
- Caldwell County TXGenWeb site
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).