Calhoun County, Alabama Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Calhoun County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||December 18, 1832|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Calhoun County Courthouse
1702 Noble Street
Anniston, AL 36201,
Phone: (256) 231-1750
Probate Judge has marriage records 1834-1979
Registrar in Chancery has divorce records
Clerk Circuit Court has Court Records
1832--Calhoun County was created 18 December 1832 from the Creek Cession of 1832.
County seat: Anniston 
Calhoun County Alabama was created on 18 December 1832 and was originally named Benton County. There is no parent county because Calhoun (then Benton) County was created from the 1832 Creek Cession. On 29 Jan 1858 the name was changed to Calhoun County.
1861 and 1895 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Alabama Minorities has information specific to Alabama African Americans.
Biographies of many notable residents of Calhoun County, Alabama Genealogy were published in Memorial Record of Alabama (1893). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Begins on page 584.
There are approximately 150 - 200 cemeteries in Calhoun County. They range in size from single gravesites to over 3,000 burials. Research is currently ongoing to locate and pin-point cemetery locations with GPS. As of this time 130 have been located with GPS. Other cemeteries are known but are on private property. Over 90 cemeteries have yet to be located or eliminated as duplicates with different names in different listings.
- Calhoun County, Alabama cemeteries and memorial pages at FindAGrave
- Calhoun County, Alabama tombstone transcriptions at Interment.net
For tips on accessing Calhoun County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
|Sources: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml. through 1960 Benton County until 1858|
Calhoun County, Alabama Online Historical Directories - identifies historical city, county, business and other directories available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
Land and Property
To place a grant or deed on a map within context of Calhoun County, Alabama Genealogy see:
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Calhoun County, Alabama: with Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads, and More. Norman, Okla.: Arphax Pub. Co., 2007. This is a definitive work and can be used as an index to land grants. Digital version at HistoryGeo.com ($). Website includes free surname index. FHL Book 976.163 E7bg.
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
Alabama Online Historical Newspapers - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
Jacsonville Republican: 1837-1895
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
A free collection of obituaries and death notices from various funeral homes in the Calhoun County area has been put together by GenealogyBuffs.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Center
- 1217 W Lenlock Ln
Anniston, Calhoun, Alabama, United States
Hours: 1st, 2nd, 3rd Sat 9am-12pm;
or call for appointment.
- 1217 W Lenlock Ln
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Calhoun County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Jackson State Univerisity Yearbook Digital Project: The Library is currently digitizing the entire run of the Jacksonville State University yearbooks. The yearbooks began publication in 1926 under the name Teacola (some volumes spelled "Teacoala"), which they held until 1933, when the title changed to the Mimosa. The Mimosa was not published immediately preceding and during World War II, so there are no volumes for the years 1934-1947. Print copies of the yearbooks can be found in the Library's reference collection on the 5th floor, and also in closed stacks in the 10th floor Alabama Gallery.