California, County Birth and Death Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: California, County Birth and Death Records, 1849-1994 .
This Collection will include records from 1849 to 1994.
The collection consists of images of registers, records, and certificatesof county birth and death records acquired from county courthouses. This collection contains some delayed birth records, as well. Some city and towns records are also included. Records have not been acquired for the following counties:
For a list of records by localities and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- "California, County Birth and Death Records, 1849-1994." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013.
- Child's birth date
- Place of birth
- Name of Child
- Race or Color
- Number of children in family
- Living or stillborn
- Names of Parents
- Race and nativity of parents
- Father's occupation
- Parents' birth place
- Age of parents
- Maiden name of mother
- Legitimacy of child
The Death Records may include the following information:
- Death date
- Place of death
- Name of deceased
- Age at death
- Cause of Death
- Attending physician
How to Use the Record
To browse this collection you will need to follow this series of links:
⇒ Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒ Select the “County, Town” category
⇒ Select the “Record Type, Date Range and Volume” category which takes you to the images.
Look at the images one by one comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- Date of the event
- Place of the event
Using the Information:
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Make a photocopy of the record, or extract the genealogical information needed. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. The information may also lead you to other records about your ancestors.
The following examples show ways you can use the information:
- Use the names and relationships as a basis for compiling family groups.
- Use the names, date, and residence or place to locate the individual or family in the census.
- Use the names and places to locate additional records about the individual or family such as church and land records.
- Use ages listed to determine approximate birth dates.
Tips to Keep in Mind:
- You may need to compare the information of more than one family or person to make this determination.
- If the record is a death record look for burial and probate records in the same location.
- If the record is a birth record look for records of the parents.
If you are unable to find the ancestors you are looking for, try the following:
- Check for variant spellings of the names.
- Search the records of neighboring counties.
- Search for an index. Local historical and genealogical societies often have indexes to local records.
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
Related Wiki Articles
- California, Birth Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- California Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- California, Death Index, 1905-1939 (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- California, Death Index, 1940-1997 (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- California Vital Records
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: California, County Birth and Death Records, 1849-1994
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
A suggested format for keeping track of records that you have searched is found in the wiki article Help:How to Cite FamilySearch Collections.