Difference between revisions of "California Divorce Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)"
(Needed divorce Index 1955-1984)
m (corrected collection dates)
|Line 6:||Line 6:|
== Record Description ==
== Record Description ==
The collection consists of indexes to divorces from the California Department of Health Services in Sacramento . Index provided by Ancestry.com.
The collection consists of indexes to divorces from the California Department of Health Services in Sacramento. Index provided by Ancestry.com.
== Record Content ==
== Record Content ==
Revision as of 17:44, 18 August 2014
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: California Divorce Index, 1966-1984 .
The collection consists of indexes to divorces from the California Department of Health Services in Sacramento for the years 1966 to 1984. Index provided by Ancestry.com.
The index lists the following information:
- Name of husband
- Name of wife
- Docket number
- Divorce date
- Divorce place
- Reference number (page, volume, entry number)
How to Use the Record
When searching the index it is helpful to know the following:
- The name of the person at the time of the divorce
- The place where the divorce occurred
- The approximate divorce date
Search the Collection
To search the collection fill in the requested information in the boxes on the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the individuals in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at the information on several individuals comparing the information about them to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names, or variations of their name, throughout their life.
- If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names.
- Even though these indexes are very accurate they may still contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line video at FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks.
Using the Information
Use the locator information found in the index (such as page, volume, or entry number) to locate your ancestor in the divorce records. When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Download a copy of the record, or extract the genealogical information needed. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. The information may also lead you to other records about your ancestors.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Look for alternate spellings of names.
- Look for a different index. Divorce records are a court record. Court records are often indexed at the beginning or end of record volumes. You might also want to check with a local genealogical or historical society as they often have indexes to local records.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword California, Divorce Records items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article California Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this state see the wiki article California.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
| We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. We are looking for additional information that will help readers understand the topic and better use the available records. We also need translations for collection titles and images in articles about records written in languages other than English. For specific needs, please visit WikiProject FamilySearch Records. |
Please follow these guidelines as you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide.
Citation for this Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- "California, Divorce Index 1966-1984." Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing "California, Divorce Index." Ancestry.com. www.ancestry.com : 2007.