Callahan County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Callahan County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Callahan County, Texas|
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||February 1, 1858|
|Address|| Callahan County Courthouse|
400 Market Street
Baird, Texas 79504-5305
Callahan County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 Record Loss
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County Clerk has birth and death records from 1903,
marriage, probate, and land records from 1877;
District Clerk has divorce and court records
Places / Localities
- Look-Up Volunteer for Callahan County~Callahan County, TXGenWeb
- Other Callahan County Resouces~Useful resources of Callahan County~Callahan County, TXGenWeb
Cemetery records often reveal birth, marriage, death, relationship, military, and religious information.
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
Additional Cemetery Sources
- Cemeteries of Callahan County ~A list of County Cemeteries with burial listings~ Callahan County, TXGenWeb
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death/burial date and place. For general information about Texas denominations, view the Texas Church Records wiki page.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
- Callahan County General Index of Deeds Callahan County Homepage
- Texas Land Grants Database Search from the Texas General Land Office
Local histories are available for Callahan County, Texas Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- Early Days in Callahan County, 1966, by Brutus Clay Christman.
- I Remember Callahan, 1986 Callahan County Historical Commission.
Order from: Georgia Yawn, Chairman
100 West 4th Street, Suite 100
Baird, Texas 79504
Name index toI Remember Callahan from the Callahan County Homepage.
- Belle Plain, Texas: The Ghost Town in Callahan, 1972 by Thomas Robert Havins
- Cottonwood's My Home: Recipes, Memories, History, 2007, Cottonwood Historical Association. Also, Supplement to Cottonwood's My Home, and Cottonwood's My Home: Vol. 2. Cottonwood History, Family Histories, Recipes, Old Photographs.
- Cross Plains Remembered : Photos, Memories & A Little Bit of Everything Else, 2011, Cross Plains Remembered, Volume 2, 2012 and Cross Plains Remembered, Volume 3, 2012 by the Barbarian Festival Committee. 352 pages each. Available at the Cross Plains Library.
- Footsteps of Approaching Thousands, a History of the Early Days of Cross Plains, 2011 by Ann Beeler. Available from the Cross Plains Library.
- Crossties to Callahan: The Family of Alfred Dayton Williams, 1981, by J. D. Williams.
- The Hills of Home, 1949 by John Berry. Story of the author's growing up in Clyde, Texas.
- Nubbin Ridge: My Boyhood on a Texas Farm, 1960 by Lewis Nordyke. Story of Nordyke's growing up in the Cottonwood/Turkey Creek area in the 1910s-1920s.
- Texas Museums List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenWeb site
- Cross Plains Veterans Memorial website Listing of all of the 3000+ veterans from Cross Plains and the surrounding area, from Civil War through Afghanistan, whose names are on the memorial. Photographs of the stone tablets, photographs, obituaries and information on of many of the veterans.
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Muster Rolls and Military Records for 1835 & 1836 Complete List ~ TXGenWeb
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Callahan County, Texas Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- TX Newspaper Abstracts (For instructions see WorldCat Online Catalog).
- Callahan County Baird Star Newspaper online two weeks after publication date.
- Baird Banner
- Clyde Journal
P O Box 979117
So. 1st St.
Clyde, Texas 79510
- Cross Plains Review
P O Box 519116
S.E. 1st St.
Cross Plains, Texas 76443
- Back Issues of the Cross Plains Review, 1911-1975, and the Baird-Callahan County Star, 1888-1935, are available for viewing on microfilm at the Cross Plains Library.
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has digitized Abilene newspapers that may include residents from Callahan County.
- Wikipedia has a list of online newspaper archives for Texas.
- Obituaries of Callahan County ~ Partial listing of Obituaries For Callahan County ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Land Title Abstracts ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
1846-1910 Texas County Tax Rolls lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
Certified birth and death certificates or birth and death verifications can be ordered online or by mail at the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health. Copies can also be obtained from the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred and are often less expensive. You can also order them online through a third party company.
See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas.
- Marriage Records of Callahan County ~Partial list of Marriages of Callahan County~Hidden Ancestors.
- Vital Records of Callahan County ~Birth, Death, Marriage, and Divorce Records for Callahan County
- Callahan County Marriages Index 1877-1965 from the Callahan County Homepage
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
- Callahan County Historical Commission
- Cottonwood Historical Association
P. O. Box 704
Cross Plains, TX 76443
- Cross Plains Area Genealogy Society
- Callahan County Public Library & Pioneer Museum
Courthouse, 100 W 4th B1
Baird, TX 79504-5305
- Clyde Public Library
121 Oak St.
Clyde, TX 75910
- Cross Plains Public Library
149 N Main St.
P.O. Box 333
Cross Plains, TX 76443
Hours: Monday, Wednesday & Thursday 1 p.m.- 5 p.m.; Tuesday 11 a.m.-5 p.m.; Closed Friday
- Callahan County, AHGP Site
- Callahan County TXGenWeb site
- Callahan County Homepage
- CottonwoodTexas.com History, genealogy and local information about the Cottonwood community; Surname list.
- Links for Callahan County - Linkpedium
- Family History Library Catalog
- Hidden Ancestors
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Callahan County, Texas. Page 660 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
Callahan County; 400 Market St; Baird, TX 79504-5305; Ph. 915.854.1217 Details: (Co Clk has b & d rec from 1903, m, pro & land rec form 1877; Dis Clk has div & ct rec)