Campbell County, Virginia Compiled Genealogies
Has anyone studied my Campbell County, Virginia Genealogy before?
More than 60 family history books and articles have been published about Campbell County's families.
- Main article: Campbell County, Virginia
- Campbell County, VA Genealogy Forum, courtesy: GenForum.
- Campbell - Family History & Genealogy Message Board, courtesy: Ancestry.
Jones Memorial Library in Lynchburg, Virginia has a nice genealogical collection. Among its holdings are the Family File. An index is available onsite and will help you track down genealogical charts and sources about specific families. To learn more, visit their website.
Campbell County, Virginia Surnames (courtesy: Linkpendium) contains links to more than 250 online resources about this county's families, including compiled genealogies.
Compiled genealogies that treat multiple Campbell County families include:
- Early, R. H. Campbell Chronicles and Family Sketches: Embracing the History of Campbell County, Virginia, 1782-1926. Lynchburg, Va.: J.P. Bell Co., 1927. FHL Collection; digital versions at Ancestry ($); and World Vital Records ($).
- Pritchett, John W. Southside Virginia Genealogies. CD-ROM. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2007. Free online index, courtesy: Virginians - The Family History of John W. Pritchett. [Includes information about residents of Campbell County, see discussion of cited sources.] FHL US/CAN CD-ROM no. 3887. Purchase at Virginians.com.
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Adams] Adams, Thomas Tunstall. Biographical Genealogies of the Virginia Adams Families: With Notes of Some Collateral Branches. Richmond, Va.: Richmond Press, 1928. FHL Film 1303225.
- [Allison] Setters, Vista Allison Ponter. Traces in the Sand; a History of the Allison and Allied Families of Campbell County, Virginia and Morgan County, Alabama Including the Genealogy of the Allison, Barnes, Cobbs, Echols, Griffin, Henderson, Johnson, Key, Stringer, Walden and Williams Families and Accounts of Family and Community Life in Morgan County, Alabama for Over a Century with Notes on Military Service Beginning with the Civil War. Cullman, Ala.: Gregath, 1992. FHL Book 929.273 AL56s.
- [Anderson] Mills, Elizabeth Shown. "A Case Study in Family Reconstruction Within a 'Burned County,'" The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 27, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1983):3-19, digital versions at American Ancestors ($); Historic Pathways; reprinted in Genealogy: A Publication of the Family History Section, Indiana Historical Society, No. 78 (July 1983):1-10 (available for free online at Historic Pathways). Digital version also at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 27 (1983).
- [Blankinship] Blankinship, Ona J. The Family of Charles and Harriet Foster Blankinship, from 1879-1969. Hazelton, Kansas: Blankinship, 1969. FHL Book 929.273 B611bo.
- [Burton] Harrison, Francis Burton. Burton Chronicles of Colonial Virginia: Being Excerpts from the Existing Records, Particularly Relation to the Burtons of the Valley of the James and Appomattox; with Especial Reference to the Ancestry of Jesse Burton of Lynchburg (1750?-1795). Hartford, Ky.: Cook & McDowell Publications, 1979.
- [Butler] Bedke, Jane Andrews. Butler Family: Ancestors and Descendants of Jonathan Butler of Campbell County, Virginia and Randolph County, Indiana. Salt Lake City, Utah: J.A. Bedke, 1985. FHL Book 929.273 B977b.
- [Callaway] Vannerson, Margaret. The Family History. Redwood City, Calif.: N.L.V. Trimble, 1971. FHL Film 1429816 Item 5.
- [Campbell] Fassnacht, Grace Spencer. Campbell Kith and Kin: Descendants of Archibald Campbell and Elizabeth Baker Who Came from Campbell County, Virginia to Knox County, Tennessee, 1796. Chattanooga, Tenn.: G.S. Fassnacht, 198-?. FHL Book 929.273 C152fg.
- [Candler] Candler, Allen D. Colonel William Candler of Georgia: His Ancestry and Progeny. Atlanta, Ga.: Franklin Printing and Publishing, 1902. Digital version at Internet Archive; FHL Film 1433995 Item 13.
- [Cardwell] Cardwell, Robert J. Robert Cardwell of Campbell County, Virginia. El Paso, Texas: R.J. Cardwell, 1980. FHL Book 929.273 C179c.
- [Cheatham] Chilton, Harriett A. Robertson Cheatham of Appomattox, Campbell County, Virginia. Falls Church, Va.: H.A. Chilton, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 C41c.
- [Cheatham] Dennstedt, Alberta Marjorie. "The Cheatham Family of Colonial Virginia," in The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 27, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1983):163-173; Vol. 27, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1983):273-279; Vol. 28, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1984):38-43; Vol. 28, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1984):102-112; Vol. 28, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1984):209-216; Vol. 28, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1984):293-297; Vol. 29, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1985):32-40; Vol. 29, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1985):123-127; Vol. 29, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1985):179-185; Vol. 29, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1985):262-265; Vol. 30, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1986):17-23; Vol. 30, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1986):99-104. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 27 (1983)-v. 30 (1986).
- [Chilton] Dorman, John Frederick. "The Chilton Families of Virginia and Maryland," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 11, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1967):71-78; Vol. 11, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1967):121-125; Vol. 11, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1967):167-174; Vol. 12, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1968):15-18; Vol. 12, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1968):83-86; Vol. 12, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1968):109-113; Vol. 12, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1968):169-175; Vol. 13, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1969):32-36; Vol. 13, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1969):65-71; Vol. 13, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1969):177-180; Vol. 14, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1970):15-22; Vol. 14, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1970):75-82; Vol. 14, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1970):123-128; Vol. 14, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1970):165-168; Vol. 15, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1971):32-41; Vol. 15, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1971):122-124; Vol. 15, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1971):259-264; Vol. 16, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1972):301-306; FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 11-v. 16; digital version at American Ancestors ($).
- [Claytor] Rust, Ellsworth Marshall. Rust of Virginia: Genealogical and Biographical Sketches of the Descendants of William Rust, 1654-1940. Washington, D.C.: Rust, 1940. FHL Book 929.273 R922re.
- [Clemens] Bell, Raymond Martin. The Ancestry of Samuel Clemens, Grandfather of Mark Twain. Washington, Pa.: R.M. Bell, 1980. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Book 929.273 C591brm.
- [Cobb] Garrett, Hester Elizabeth. A Book of Garretts. Supplement Number Three: This Book Has Corrected and Added Information on Descendants of John and Susannah Garrott of Amelia County, Virginia. It Has Also Some Information on Garretts of Lee County, Va. and of Lebanon County, Pennsylvania. Utica, Ky.: McDowell Publications, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 G192g supp. 3.
- [Cox] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. Abstracts of Virginia Families: Vol. 1. MSS. Microfilmed 1990: FHL Film 1597677 Item 12
- [Curl] Curl, Howard E. Some Curl Footprints in the Sands of Time: Genealogical Record Dedicated to My Paternal Grandparents, Jacob Painter and Dorcus (Hudson) Curl. Typescript, 1963. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Film 907994 Item 1.
- [Driskill] Driscoll, John W. The Descendants of Daniel Driskill of Campbell County, Virginia. Blackfoot, Idaho: John W. Driscoll, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 D833dj; also FHL Book 929.273 D833dj 2000.
- [Duncan] Dobson, Mary Ann Duncan. Duncan Research Files of Mary Ann (Duncan) Dobson. MSS. 1975-1999. FHL Film 795592 Item 5 Includes Campbell County.
- [Farmer] Curtis, Oscar F. Farmer Research File. MSS. Microfilmed 1989: FHL Film 1638369 Item 13.
- [Feland] James, Larry Alan. The Feland Family, 1750-1979. Neosho, Mo.: L.A. James, 1979. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 3877.
- [Flagg] Nowery, Sharon Lee. Flagg-Rucker Family History Appomattox and Campbell Counties, Virginia. Rock Hill, S.C.: S.L. Nowery, 1994. FHL Book 929.273 F597na.
- [Foster] Elton, Patricia Foster. The History and Genealogy of John Yancey Foster of Hat Creek, Campbell County, Virginia. Potomac, Md.: P.R. Elton, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 F811e.
- [Frazer] Frazer, Margaret Gruse and Elva Frazer Shelton. Frazers - Baptists - Beatitudes Descendants of James George Frazer (1799-1878) of Campbell County Virginia and Highland County, Ohio. Ohio: M.G. Frazer, 1972. FHL Book 929.273 F869fm.
- [Galbreath] Stewart, J. Adger. "Galbreath Family," Tyler's Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine, Vol. 16 (1935):193-196. Reprinted in Genealogies of Virginia Families from Tyler's Quarterly Historical and Genealogical Magazine. Volume I: Albidgton-Gerlache. Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Company, Inc., 1981. Free Name Search; publisher's bookstore: Genealogical.com; FHL Book 975.5 D2gvf v. 1.
- [Hairston] Hairston, Elizabeth Seawell. The Hairston and Penns: and Their Relations. Roanoke, Va.: Walters Printing and Manufacturing Co., 1940. FHL Book 929.273 H127he.
- [Hancock] Marshall, Thomas E. The Family of Brothers, Bezer and Noble Snell of Red House, Virginia, Charlotte County. Bedford, Va.: T.E. Marshall, 1994. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 528.
- [Hanks] Baber, Adin. Nancy Hanks, the Destined Mother of a President: The Factual Story of a Pioneer Family As Revealed in an Exhaustive Study of Ancestral History. Kansas, Ill.: A. Baber, 1963. FHL Book 929.273 H194b.
- [Harris] Bedke, Jane Andrews. Harris Family; Descendants of William Harris of Campbell County, Virginia. Salt Lake City: J.A. Bedke, 1986. FHL Film 1750835 Items 8-10.
- [Harvey] Marshall, Thomas E. Robert Elliott -ca. 1786, of Prince Edward County, Virginia. Bedford, Va.: T.E. Marshall, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 531.
- [Harvey] Marshall, Thomas E. The Family of Brothers, Bezer and Noble Snell of Red House, Virginia, Charlotte County. Bedford, Va.: T.E. Marshall, 1994. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 528.
- [Hines] Hines, James Davis and J. Adger Stewart. Descendants of Henry Hines, Sr., 1732-1810. Louisville, Ky.: John P. Morton, 1925. FHL Book 929.273 H589hjd.
- [Hix] Sullivan, Elsie Smiley. Hix-Collins-Word & Related Families. Rossville, Ga.: E.S. Sullivan, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 H642s.
- [Holt] Mumper, James A., M. Ellen Bailey, Mary Andrews Dalby, and John Lee Holt. I Wrote You Word: The Poignant Letters of Private Holt: John Lee Holt, 1829-1863. Lynchburg, Va.: H.E. Howard, 1993. FHL Book 975.5 M2vc v. 37.
- [Jordan] Jordan, Paul R. Some Charles and James Jordans, Born in Virginia 1790-1848: and Their Families. Lawrence, Kansas: P.R. Jordan, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 J761jp.
- [Joy] Joy, Wayne Lawson. Joy: A Family Chronicle. n.p.: W.L. Joy, 2000. FHL Book 929.273 J84jw.
- [Kropf] Butts, William Taylor. A Crop of Kropf. San Antonio, Texas: W.T. Butts, 1984. FHL Book 929.273 A1 no. 4412.
- [Lamb] Bedke, Jane Andrews. Lamb Family, Ancestors and Descendants of John Curtis Lamb of Campbell County, Virginia. Salt Lake City, Utah: J.A. Bedke, 1986. FHL Book 929.273 L167b.
- [Lee] Lee Family Collection, ca. 1613-1924. MSS. Microfilmed 1970s: FHL Film 1550782.
- [Love] Rhodes, Phillip Wayne. "Descendants of Thomas Love of Lynchburg and Amherst County, Virginia," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 35, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1991):83-91. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 35 (1991).
- [McCraw] Kent, Jane McCraw. The McCraw Clan of Lynchburg & Vicinity. Dover, De.: J.M. Kent, 1981. FHL Book 929.273 M137k.
- [Mason] Mason, Lawrence N. Up from Turnip Creek the Mason Family of Campbell-Charlotte County, Virginia: The Ancestors and Descendants of John Norman Mason. Arlington, Va.: L.N. Mason, 1979. FHL Book 929.273 M381mL.
- [Mason] Dobyns, Kenneth W. The Family of John Baxter Mason (1811-83) of Campbell County, Va. Arlington, Va.: K.W. Dobyns, 1980. FHL Book 929.273 M381dk.
- [Mason] Dobyns, Kenneth W. and Della Effrie Mason Sublett. The Mason Family of Campbell County, Virginia Updated, Expanded, and Retitled in 1997 to Include Material Compiled by Della Effrie Mason Sublett (1895-1985) Taken from a Copy of Her Manuscript Compilation Which Came into My Possession After Her Death. Arlington, Va.: K.W. Dobyns, 1997. FHL Book 929.273 M381d.
- [Mason] Soule, Mary Lou. Early Mason Families in Virginia, Kentucky, and Illinois. 1999. FHL Book 929.273 M381sm.
- [Moore] Moore, Charles R. The Moore Family of Central Virginia Covering the Counties of Albeharle, Amherst, Bedford, Buckingham, Campbell, Fluvanna, Louisa, Nelson, and Orange, Virginia. Charlottesville, Va.: C.R. Moore, 1985. FHL 929.273 A1 no. 6921
- [Moorman] McDaniel, Isabel M. "William Moorman (1751-1829) of Virginia and Kentucky," National Genealogical Society Quarterly, Vol. 57, No. 1 (Mar. 1969):49-50. FHL Book 973 B2ng v. 57.
- [Page] Page, Richard Channing Moore. Genealogy of the Page Family in Virginia. Also a Condensed Account of the Nelson, Walker, Pendleton and Randolph Families, With References to the Bland, Burwell, Byrd, Carter, Cary, Duke, Gilmer, Harrison, Rives, Thornton, Wellford, Washington, and Other Distinguished Families in Virginia. New York: Press of the Publishers' Printing Co., 1893. Available at FHL; digital version at Google Books.
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. Page Family Records in Virginia Counties. 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 1982-2006. FHL Book 929.273 P141rdc v. 2 [Campbell County appears in Vol. 2 Part 2]
- [Page] Rutherford, Dolores Crumrine. The Page Family in Virginia Personal Property Taxes (1782-1850). 2 vols. Carmichael, Calif.: D.C. Rutherford, 2002. FHL Book 929.273 P141rd v. 1-2 [Campbell County appears in Vol. 1]
- [Patteson] Smith, Ethel Marion. An Informal History of Virginia-Kentucky Pattesons in Illinois, Their Forbears and Their Kin Including the Lewises of Llangollen. Washington, 1948. Available at FHL.
- [Perkins] Perkins, William Robertson. Papers 1929-1943. Section 2. MSS. Available at Virginia Historical Society.
- [Prewitt] Prewitt, Richard A. Michael Prewitt, Sr. and His Descendants, 1720-1977. 1977. Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Film 1036703 Item 1.
- [Pruitt] Prewitt, Lester Dee and Lela Marguerite Wolfe Prewitt. Notes on the Prewitt-Light, Ringler-Hollowell and Allied Families., Iowa: Summit Printing, 1939. FHL Film 1018884 Item 2.
- [Pruitt] Prewitt, Lester Dee. Prewitt-Light-Ringler-Hollowell and Allied Families. Fairfield, Iowa, 1970. Rev. ed.
- [Puckett] Johnson, Joyce Ann Spires. Genealogical Collection, ca. 1779-1985. MSS. Microfilmed 1994: FHL Film 1750769 Item 8.
- [Read] Read, James S. and May D. Read. A Genealogical Record of One Branch of the Read Family in America Descendants of William Read Who Lived in Campbell County, Virginia in the Middle 1700's. n.p.: J.S. Read, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 R22rj.
- [Rucker] Nowery, Sharon Lee. Flagg-Rucker Family History Appomattox and Campbell Counties, Virginia. Rock Hill, S.C.: S.L. Nowery, 1994. FHL Book 929.273 F597na
- [St. John] St. John, L. Edward. Some St. Johns by George. Morrison, Tenn.: L. St. John, 1990. FHL Book 929.273 Sa23s.
- [Shearer] Shearer, Oliver F. In Search of My Shearer Heritage in Madison and Rock Castle Countys [sic] in Kentucky. Winchester, Ky.: O.F. Shearer, 1990s. FHL Book 929.273 Sh31so.
- [Stovall] Baughan, Barbara Clark and Lillian King Lewis. "The Family of George Stovall, Jr.," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 19, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1975):195-201. Digital version at American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 19 (1975).
- [Sweeney] Nowery, Sharon Lee. The Swinney, Sweeney Family of Campbell County, Virginia. Rock Hill, S.C.: S. Nowery, 1994. FHL Book 929.273 Sw64n.
- [Taylor] Cox, Patricia Bliss and Calvin Edward Cox. James Milton Taylor FAmily, 1790-1996: Family Histories for the Twelve Original Taylor Children. [Newport News, Va.]: P.B. Cox, . Digital version at Family History Archives; FHL Book 929.273 T215co.
- [Tucker] Dennstedt, Alberta Marjorie. "Progenitors and Kinfolk of Abraham Childers III," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 34, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1990):3-13; Vol. 34, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1990):97-109; Vol. 34, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1990):180-194; Vol. 34, No. 4 (Oct.-Dec. 1990):266-280; Vol. 35, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1991):43-54; Vol. 35, No. 2 (Apr.-Jun. 1991):108-118; Vol. 35, No. 3 (Jul.-Sep. 1991):199-207. American Ancestors ($). FHL Book 975.5 B2vg v. 34 (1990)-v. 35 (1991).
- [Tweedy] Sipe, Kerry W. The Tweedy Family of Virginia. Virginia Beach, Va.: n.p., 1993. FHL Book 929.273 T916s.
- [Vest] Sowers, Erma Conner. Descendants of Littleberry Vest. Check, Va.: E.C. Sowers, 1983. FHL Book 929.273 V638s.
- [Ward] Ward: Family Records. Genealogical Loose Papers / Department of Archives and History. 3rd family on film. Copy: FHL Film 288191.
- [Whittington] Atkins, Sarah Burn and Vivian Marie Atkins. Everyone's a Whittington. Franklin, N.C.: Genealogy Publishing Service, 2001. FHL Book 929.273 W618as.
- [Wright] Grant, Robert N. Wright Family Birth Records 1853 to 1896 and Marriage Records 1782 to 1900, Campbell County, Virginia. Westminster, Md.: Heritage Books, 2004. FHL Book 929.273 W93gcv.
- [Wright] Grant, Robert N. Sorting Some of the Wrights of Southern Virginia, Part V, Robert Wright, Sr. (Campbell County), His Wives Mary () Wright and Keziah (Gillenwaters) Wright, and His Descendants. Menlo Park, Calif.: R.N. Grant, 2005. FHL Book 929.273 W93grx v. 1.
- [Wright] Grant, Robert N. Wright Family Census Records: Campbell County, Virginia, 1810-1900. Westminster, Md.: Heritage Books, 2005. FHL Book 929.273 W93gcr.
- [Wright] Grant, Robert N. Wright Family Deed Records, 1782-1900 and Land Tax Lists, 1782-1850 Campbell County, Virginia. Westminster, Md.: Heritage Books, 2005. FHL Book 929.273 W93gcL.
- [Wright] Grant, Robert N. Wright Family Death Records 1853-1920; Cemetery Records by Cemetery, and Probate Records 1782-1900, Campbell County, Virginia. Westminster, Md.: Heritage Books, 2005. FHL Book 929.273 W93gcd.
- [Wright] Grant, Robert N. Wright Family Personal Property Tax Lists, Campbell County, Virginia, 1785-1850. Westminster, Md.: Heritage Books, 2005. FHL Book 929.273 W93gcc.
- Name Search at Genealogical.com is a comprehensive name index to 638 books and CDs published or reprinted by Genealogical Publishing Company (now Genealogical.com). For a complete list of the works included, see Publications in Name Search at Genealogical.com