Carbon County, Montana Genealogy
Guide to Carbon County Montana genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Carbon County, Montana|
Location of Montana in the U.S.
|Founded||March 4, 1895|
|County Seat||Red Lodge|
|Address|| Carbon County Courthouse|
PO Box 948
Red Lodge, MT 59068
Carbon County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Biography
- 2.2 Cemeteries
- 2.3 Census
- 2.4 Church Records
- 2.5 Court Records
- 2.6 Directories
- 2.7 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.8 Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
- 2.9 Gazetteers
- 2.10 Genealogy
- 2.11 History
- 2.12 Land and Property
- 2.13 Maps
- 2.14 Migration
- 2.15 Military
- 2.16 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.17 Newspapers
- 2.18 Obituaries
- 2.19 Probate
- 2.20 Public Records
- 2.21 Repositories
- 2.22 Taxation
- 2.23 Vital Records
- 2.24 Websites
- 3 Places
- 4 References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|* For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent County: created 4 March 1895 from Park, Yellowstone, and Custer counties.
- County seat: Red Lodge 
- Neighboring Counties: Big Horn | Big Horn County, Wyoming | Park | Park County, Wyoming | Stillwater | Yellowstone
For tips on accessing Carbon County, Montana Genealogy census records online, see: Montana Census.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
Land and Property
Naturalization and Citizenship
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a collection of digitized Montana newspapers including Billings newspapers that may include residents of Carbon County. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
County Clerk has birth records from 1878, death records from 1903, marriage, divorce, probate court and land records from 1895.
Family History Centers
- For marriages from 1895-1896 see Western States Marriage Index.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002).
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 415.