Carroll County, Illinois Genealogy
|Carroll County, Illinois|
Location in the state of Illinois
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||February 22, 1839|
|Address|| Carroll County Courthouse|
301 North Main St.
Mt. Carroll, Illinois 61053
Carroll County Website
- 1 Quick Dates
- 2 County Courthouse
- 3 Historical Facts
- 4 Places/Localities
- 5 Resources
- 5.1 African American
- 5.2 Archives and Libraries
- 5.3 Biography
- 5.4 Cemeteries
- 5.5 Census
- 5.6 Church History and Records
- 5.7 Court Records
- 5.8 Directories
- 5.9 Funeral Homes
- 5.10 Genealogy
- 5.11 History
- 5.12 Land and Property
- 5.13 Maps
- 5.14 Military History and Records
- 5.15 Naturalizations
- 5.16 Newspapers
- 5.17 Probate Records
- 5.18 Taxation
- 5.19 Vital Records
- 6 Societies, Libraries and Museums
- 7 Websites
- 8 References
Carroll County's civil records start the following years:
County records are most often kept at the County Courthouse or another local repository. For further information about where the records for Carroll County are kept, see the Carroll County Courthouse page.
Historical FactsCharles Carroll of Carrollton (1737-1832), a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
To see a list of places in Carroll County, click on [Show], above. The preceding list of places includes incorporated cities and towns, unincorporated towns and communities, and place names that may have been used in family histories. Some have well-organized records and even have web sites. Some are simply social communities with no official records, but which may be referenced in small-town newspapers. The list is provided to help researchers identify localities within the county. As records or histories of these localities are identified, a page will be added for each of these place names.
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Archives and Libraries
- Carroll Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- Cemetery Location Project, Illinois State Genealogical Society, Carroll County, Illinois.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
- 1840, United States Census HeritageQuest Online no index, browse only (LAR)
- 1840, United States Census Ancestry.com ($)
- 1850, United States Census FamilySearch
- 1850, United States Census HeritageQuest Online (LAR)
- 1850, United States Census Ancestry ($)
- 1860, United States Census FamilySearch Index only, links to images located at Footnote.com
- 1860, United States Census HeritageQuest Online (LAR)
- 1860, United States Census Ancestry ($)
- 1870, United States Census FamilySearch Includes images.
- 1870, United States Census HeritageQuest Online (LAR)
- 1870, United States Census Ancestry ($)
- 1880, United States Census FamilySearch, Index only.
- 1880, United States Census HeritageQuest Online (LAR)
- 1880 United States Census Ancestry ($)
- 1900, United States Census FamilySearch Includes images.
- 1900, United States Census HeritageQuest Online (LAR)
- 1900 United States Census Ancestry ($)
- 1910, United States Census FamilySearch
- 1910, United States Census HeritageQuest Online (LAR)
- 1910, United States Census Ancestry ($)
- 1920, United States Census FamilySearch
- 1920, United States Census HeritageQuest Online (LAR)
- 1920, United States Census Ancestry ($)
- 1930, United States Census FamilySearch
- 1930, United States Census HeritageQuest Online (LAR)
- 1930, United States Census Ancestry ($)
- 1855, State Census FamilySearch Index only
- 1855, Name index to early Illinois records FHL 248 film rolls
- 1855, State Census FHL film 976179
- 1865, State Census FHL film 972750
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census. Washington, D.C., 1841. FHL 973 X2pc 1840; FHL 2321; digital version at Google Books. [See Illinois, Carroll County on page 186.]
Church History and Records
- Portrail and Birgraphical Album of Carrol County Illinois(1889) Biographies.
- Carroll County, Illinois Biography (WorldCat)
- Pioneer Families of Carroll County Illinois
- Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois (1913); digital version at Ancestry ($).
- The History Of Carroll County, Illinois, containing a history of the county, its cities, towns, etc. (1878); digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Portrait and Biographical Album of Jo Daviess and Carroll Counties, Illinois. $ (This site is available for free use at Family History Centers). Digital version at Ancestry ($).
- Carroll County: A Goodly Heritage. Mt. Morris, Ill.: Kable Print. Co., 1968. Digital version at Ancestry ($).
Land and Property
Military History and Records
Civil War service men from Carroll County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Carroll County.
- - 34th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company I.
- - 45th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies A and E.
- - 55th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company H.
- - 61st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies A and B.
- - 71st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company B.
- - 91st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company I.
- - 92nd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Companies C and I.
World War I
World War II
- United States, World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942.
- U. S, Word War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946. $
The Carroll County Genealogical Society's website includes several naturalization collections:
- Index to Naturalizations from the Carroll County Circuit Court
- Declarations of Intention: First Papers of Naturalization Carroll County, Illinois
- Miscellaneous Naturalization Documents
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Freeport City newspapers from the late 1800's and early 1900's that covered local news on residents from Carroll County. The Rock Island Public Library provides free access to this database at its library.
Illinois Probate Records for description of the records
The Clerk of the Circuit Court has responsibility for the probate records of Carroll County. Carroll County is building a free, searchable database of all Closed Probate Records. (id: probate; password: cccc)
- Illinois Statewide Death Index, Pre-1916.
- Illinois Statewide Death Index (1916-1950).
- 1850, Mortality Schedule, covers June 1, 1849 to May 31, 1850.
Societies, Libraries and Museums
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Carroll County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)