Carroll County, Virginia Genealogy
|Carroll County, Virginia|
Location in the state of Virginia
Location of Virginia in the U.S.
Southwest Virginia county.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 African American
- 4.2 Bible Records
- 4.3 Cemeteries
- 4.4 Census
- 4.5 Church
- 4.6 Court
- 4.7 Genealogy
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Naturalization
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Research Guides
- 4.15 Taxation
- 4.16 Vital Records
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
- Lost census: 1890
Freedmen's Bureau Letters or Correspondence, 1865-18721
Kegley, Mary B. Free People of Colour: Free Negroes, Indians, Portuguese and Freed Slaves. Wytheville, Virginia: Kegley Books, 2003. Available at FHL; digital version at BYU Family History Archives. [Includes information from Carroll County.]
Images of the Virginia Historical Society's family Bible collection have been digitized:
- Virginia Historical Society Papers, 1607-2007 - browse collection at FamilySearch; free.
Additional Bible records include:
For a detailed list, including addresses, phone numbers, and external links, see Carroll County, Virginia Cemeteries.
The following is a list of cemeteries in Carroll County:
- Tombstone Trnascription Project Carroll County - cemetery transcriptions - USGenWeb
For tips on accessing Carroll County, Virginia Genealogy census records online, see: Virginia Census.
1890 Union Veterans
- Turner, Ronald Ray. Virginia's Union Veterans: Eleventh Census of the United States 1890. Available online, courtesy: Prince William County Virginia website. [Includes residents of this county.]
- Alderman, John Perry. Carroll 1765-1815, the Settlements: A History of the First Fifty Years of Carroll County, Virginia. n.p.: Central Va. Newspapers, 1985. Available at FHL.
- Kegley, Mary B. Revolutionary War Pension Applications of Southwest Virginia Soldiers. n.p.: M.B. Kegley, 1997. FHL Collection [Includes Carroll County pensioners.]
War of 1812
- List of Pensioners on the Roll, January 1, 1883; Giving the Name of Each Pensioner, the Cause for Why Pensioned, the Post-Office Address, the Rate of Pension Per Month, and the Date of Original Allowance... Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1883. FHL Collection 973 M2Lp v. 5; digital versions at Google Books and Internet Archive. [See Vol. 5, Virginia, Carroll County, p. 67.]
Regiments. Service men in Carroll County, Virginia Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Carroll County, Virginia Genealogy:
Records and histories are available, including:
- Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers 1861-1865
- Virginia, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers 1861-1865
Virginia Naturalization Petitions, 1906-1929
- "A Guide to the Counties of Virginia: Carroll County," The Virginia Genealogist, Vol. 7, No. 1 (Jan.-Mar. 1963):33-35. Available at FHL; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
Indexes to Carroll County, Virginia Genealogy births, marriages, and deaths are available online. These collections are incomplete, but are easy to search. Most records can also be ordered electronically online as well. Courtesy: FamilySearch - free. See also How to order Virginia Vital Records
Random Acts of Genealogical Kindness has found a lookup volunteer for Carroll County births, marriages, and cemetery records.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Carroll County, Virginia USGENWEBwww.vagenweb.org/carroll/
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cyndi's List
- Learning How to Edit our Wiki Sites
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Carroll County, Virginia. Page 711 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia Contributors, "Charles Carroll of Carrollton," in Wikipedia: The Free Encyclopedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Carroll_of_Carrollton, accessed 13 January 2012.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- [hhttp://www.topozone.com/states/Virginia.asp?county=Carroll&amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;amp;feature=Cemetery USGS Map], Topozone.com
- The Virginia State Line: Organizational Structure of the Virginia State Line, Ranger95.com, accessed 11 June 2012.