Carter County, Kentucky Genealogy
Guide to Carter County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Carter County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||February 9, 1838|
- 1 Carter County Kentucky Courthouse
- 2 Carter County Kentucky History
- 3 Carter County Kentucky Places / Localities
- 4 Carter County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- 4.1 African Americans
- 4.2 Bible
- 4.3 Biographies, Family Histories/Trees, GEDCOM files etc.
- 4.4 Cemeteries
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Church
- 4.7 Court
- 4.8 Land
- 4.9 Local Histories
- 4.10 Maps
- 4.11 Military
- 4.12 Miscellaneous
- 4.13 Newspaper
- 4.14 Obituaries
- 4.15 Probate
- 4.16 Taxation
- 4.17 Vital Records
- 5 Carter County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- 6 Carter County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- 7 Carter County Kentucky Genealogy References
Carter County Kentucky Courthouse
Carter County Kentucky History
Carter County Kentucky Places / Localities
|Access||Fairview Hill||Johns Run||Rooney|
|Beech Grove||Fultz||Leon||Smiths Creek|
|Beetle||Garvin Ridge||Limestone||Smoky Valley|
|Boone Furnace||Gesling||McGlone Creek||Soldier|
|Charlotte Furnace||Grahn||Music||Straight Creek|
|Clark Hill||Grayson||North Branch||The Crossroads (hist.)|
|Cory||Gregoryville||Offill's Mill (hist.)||Upper Tygart|
|Counts Crossroads||Hayward||Olive Hill||Wesleyville|
|Denton||Iron Hill||Poplar||Williams Creek|
Carter County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
Biographies, Family Histories/Trees, GEDCOM files etc.
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Kentucky Historical Society Cemetery Search can be searched by name, place and/or date. This database has hundreds of thousands of names transcribed from gravestones across Kentucky.
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Carter County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Carter Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The Family History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Carter County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Carter County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
- Carter County Kentucky Cemetery Index
For tips on accessing Carter County, Kentucky Genealogy census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- Access Genealogy, Carter County Kentucky Census Records
- Carter County, KY Census Records
Census Online, Carter County Kentucky
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Kentucky denominations, view the Kentucky Church Records wiki page.
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- Catholic Parishes in the Diocese of Lexington
- Catholic Parishes in the Archdiocese of Louisville
Local histories are available for Carter County, Kentucky Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Kentucky Local Histories.
- Carter County Military Page
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
Regiments. Service men in Carter County, Kentucky Genealogy served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Carter County, Kentucky Genealogy:
- - 22nd Regiment, Kentucky Infantry (Union), Company D
- KY Postcards Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Newspaper Articles and Newspaper Related Links
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Carter County, Kentucky Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
Probate records are held by the Carter County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Carter County, Kentucky Genealogy Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Kentucky, Probate Records, 1792-1977. See the wiki page Kentucky Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
- 1835-1958 - Will Books 1 to 3 (1835-1958) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more background information and state-wide resources see the wiki page Kentucky Taxation.
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Kentucky enacted a statute in 1852-1862 requiring registration of births and deaths,many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1874-1879, and 1892-1910 but, again, was not always followed. By 1911, the law was more clearly defined and kept by 1920. Any existing births 1852-1960 and death records 1852-1953 can be accessed online. See How to Find Kentucky Birth Records and How to Find Kentucky Death Records for links to indexes and images.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Carter County, Kentucky Genealogy Clerk, with divorce records 1849-1958 located with the Carter County, Kentucky Genealogy Circuit Court. For more information see How to Find Kentucky Marriage Records. For Kentucky divorce records see the wiki page Kentucky Vital Records.
- 1852-1862 - Carter County Birth Index 1852-1862. Batch C517201 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1876 - Carter County Birth Index 1875-1876. Batch C517202 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1862 - Carter County Marriage Index 1852-1862. Batch M517201 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Carter County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517203 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1878 - Carter County Marriage Index 1876-1878. Batch M517204 at FamilySearch - free.
- Carter County Kentucky Births
- Carter County Kentucky Deaths
- Carter County KY Marriages
Carter County, Kentucky Marriages 1839-1878
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Carter County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Carter County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Carter County Kentucky USGenWeb Project
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
-  USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Carter County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Carter County Kentucky Genealogy References
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Carter County, Kentucky page 269, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/f/f1/Igikentuckyaf.pdf.