Difference between revisions of "Cartmel, Lancashire Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
m (Text replace - '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''' to '''A Topographical Dictionary of England''')
Line 5: Line 5:
 
See a [[List of Chapelries in Cartmel Parish]].  
 
See a [[List of Chapelries in Cartmel Parish]].  
  
[[Image:Cartmel_Priory_Lancashire.jpg|thumb|right|Cartmel Priory (St Mary)]]
+
[[Image:Cartmel Priory Lancashire.jpg|thumb|right]]  
  
 
== Parish History  ==
 
== Parish History  ==
Line 13: Line 13:
 
Other places in the parish include: Lower Holker, Lower Allithwaite, Newton in Cartmel, Upper Allithwaite, Upper Holker, and East Plain.  
 
Other places in the parish include: Lower Holker, Lower Allithwaite, Newton in Cartmel, Upper Allithwaite, Upper Holker, and East Plain.  
  
"CARTMEL (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster, containing 4927 inhabitants: the town of Cartmel stands in the townships of Lower Allithwaite and Upper Holker, 14 miles (N. W. by N.) from Lancaster, and 254 (N. N. W.) from London. This place, which is supposed to have derived its name from the British words Kert, a camp, and mell, a fell, or small mountain, according to Camden was given to St. Cuthbert, in 677, by Egfrid, King of Northumbria, with all the Britons inhabiting it. In 782, Ethelred, upon his restoration to the throne of that kingdom, allured from their sanctuary at York the sons of Alfwold, who had been advanced to the crown upon his expulsion, and put them to death at Cartmel. In 1188, William Mareschall, Earl of Pembroke, founded a priory for Regular canons of the order of St. Augustine, dedicated to the Blessed Virgin, and endowed it with all his lands at "Kertmell," and with other possessions, besides many privileges, among which was the exclusive right of appointing guides to conduct travellers over the extensive sands that bound the parish on the south. The establishment, at the Dissolution, consisted of ten religious, and forty-eight servants, and the revenue was estimated at £212. 11. 10.: the conventual church, which was also parochial, was purchased by the parishioners. The town is situated in a vale surrounded by lofty hills of varied aspect, behind which the vast fells of Coniston rise majestically to the north; the houses, with the exception of a row erected some years since on the north side of the town, of modern and handsome appearance, are in general built of stone, rough-cast and white-washed. The environs abound with sceuery strikingly diversified by richly-wooded eminences and barren hills. The parish comprises the townships of Upper and Lower Allithwaite, East Broughton, CartmelFell, Upper and Lower Holker, and Staveley. It is bounded on the south by the bay of Morecambe, into which it extends for a considerable distance, and where, at low water, is a passage over the sands to Bolton. The longer course across is nine miles; the shorter, along that part called the Leven sands, is four: guides are usually waiting to conduct over both. The district abounds with rocks of limestone and marble, but very little trade is carried on; there are cotton-mills at Upper Holker. The market is on Tuesday: fairs are held on Whit-Monday and the Monday after October 23rd; and cattle-fairs on the Wednesday before Easter, and November 5th. The living is a perpetual curacy, in the gift of the Earl of Burlington, with a net income of £113: the tithes were commuted for land in 1796. The church is a spacious cruciform structure, in the early English style, with a curious tower. After having been suffered to remain in a state of neglect for nearly a century from the dissolution of the priory, during which time the conventual buildings had been removed, it was substantially repaired, in 1640, by George Preston, of Holker. The chancel contains some richly-carved stalls and fine tabernacle work: on the north side of the altar is the tomb of William de Walton, one of the priors, and on the opposite side a magnificent altar-tomb with recumbent figures of one of the Harringtons and his lady, supposed to be Sir John Harrington, who accompanied Edward I. into Scotland; besides many other monuments. The Earl of Burlington also presents to the incumbencies of Broughton, Cartmel-Fell, Flookborough, Lindale, and Staveley. The free grammar school, built in 1790, in Upper Holker township, is supported by an endowment of £125 per annum, arising from donations and legacies. Dr. Edmund Law, Bishop of Carlisle, whose father was curate of one of the chapels in the parish for forty-nine years, received the rudiments of his education in the school. In a wood in the vicinity, about forty years ago, 680 Roman coins were dug up, dated from 193 to 253; and at Broughton, a coin of the Emperor Adrian has been discovered. Three miles to the south of the town is a spring, called Holy Well, the water of which is efficacious in gout, and in nephritic and cutaneous diseases; and at Pit Farm, in the parish, is an intermitting spring."
+
"CARTMEL St Mary, '''a parish''', in the union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster and stands within&nbsp;the townships of Lower Allithwaite and Upper Holker, 14 miles northwest by north&nbsp;of&nbsp;Lancaster.<ref>''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 523-526. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50859 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.</ref> There were chapels of ease&nbsp;in the following townships:
  
From: ''[[A Topographical Dictionary of England]]'' by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 523-526. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50859 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.
+
*{{FHL|178047|title-id|disp=Broughton (East)}} - 1859
 +
*{{FHL|366122|title-id|disp=Cartmel-Fell}} - 1754
 +
*{{FHL|366123|title-id|disp=Flookborough}} - 1859
 +
*{{FHL|106203|title-id|disp=Lindale}} - 1754
 +
*{{FHL|178238|title-id|Staveley}} - 1857
  
 
== Resources  ==
 
== Resources  ==
Line 25: Line 29:
 
==== Lancashire Online Parish Clerks  ====
 
==== Lancashire Online Parish Clerks  ====
  
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/<br>  
+
An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/<br>
  
<br>  
+
<br>
  
 
==== Church records  ====
 
==== Church records  ====
Line 35: Line 39:
 
==== Census records  ====
 
==== Census records  ====
  
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}
+
{{Expand section|any unique information, such as ''the census for X year was destroyed''}}  
  
 
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census  
 
http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census  
  
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
+
==== Poor Law Unions<br> ====
  
 
[[Ulverston Poor Law Union,Lancashire]]  
 
[[Ulverston Poor Law Union,Lancashire]]  
  
<br>  
+
<br>
  
==== Probate records<br> ====
+
==== Probate records<br> ====
  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
 
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to [[Lancashire Probate Records|Lancashire Probate Records]] to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.  
  
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
+
== Maps and Gazetteers<br> ==
  
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>  
+
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.<br>
  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
 
*[http://maps.familysearch.org/ England Jurisdictions 1851]  
Line 60: Line 64:
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
 
Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.  
  
<br>  
+
== Reference<br> ==
 +
 
 +
{{Reflist}}
  
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]
 
[[Category:Lancashire]]

Revision as of 21:35, 5 March 2012

England Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Gotoarrow.png Lancashire Parishes

See also Cartmel Fell, a chapel of ease serving the Winster Valley in Cartmel Parish.

See a List of Chapelries in Cartmel Parish.

Cartmel Priory Lancashire.jpg

Parish History

Cartmel St Mary is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Lancashire.

Other places in the parish include: Lower Holker, Lower Allithwaite, Newton in Cartmel, Upper Allithwaite, Upper Holker, and East Plain.

"CARTMEL St Mary, a parish, in the union of Ulverston, hundred of Lonsdale north of the Sands, N. division of the county of Lancaster and stands within the townships of Lower Allithwaite and Upper Holker, 14 miles northwest by north of Lancaster.[1] There were chapels of ease in the following townships:

Resources

Civil Registration

Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.

Lancashire Online Parish Clerks

An extremely useful resource for research in Lancashire Parishes http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/


Church records

Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection

Census records

http://www.1881pubs.com/ for details of public houses in the 1881 census

Poor Law Unions

Ulverston Poor Law Union,Lancashire


Probate records

Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.

Maps and Gazetteers

Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.

Web sites

Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.

Reference

  1. A Topographical Dictionary of England by Samuel Lewis (1848), pp. 523-526. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50859 Date accessed: 25 June 2010.