Catawba County, North Carolina Genealogy
Catawba County was formed in December 1842 from the northern section of Lincoln County. The town of Newton was selected as the county seat in January 1845. It was divided into 8 townships in 1868. Very few changes have been made in the township boundaries since that date. The townships are: Newton, Clines, Caldwell, Jacobs Fork, Mountain Creek, Bandys, Hickory Tavern (changed to Hickory), and Hamilton (changed to Catawba).
The Catawba County Genealogical Society has published several helpful volumes of cemetery records and marriage records. Researchers will find their webpage helpful: [[../../../../index.php?title=Www.ncgenweb.us/catawba/ccgsmain.htm&action=edit|http://www.ncgenweb.us/catawba/ccgsmain.htm]]