Cedar County, Iowa Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 Sources and Footnotes
Cedar County Courthouse
400 Cedar Street
Tipton, IA 52772
HistoryFormed from sections of Dubuque County on December 21, 1837, Cedar County was named for the Red Cedar River which runs through the county. During the Great Depression, farmers rose in violent protest against state policy. The Cedar County War ensued in 1931.
Cedar County is divided into seventeen townships:
- FindAGrave for pictures and transcriptions of individual graves.
- Iowa Gravestone Project
- WPA Website
Iowa recorded not only the federal census but state census through out the years too. The state census contains very valuable genealogical information. Where the census information can be found, what years it was taken, mortality schedules, census substitutions and much more is discussed in the very informative Iowa Census article.
- Methodist Church. West Branch circuit Church Records  Contents
- Baptisms, 1860-1861, 1866-1878 -- marriages, 1866-1877 -- probationers -- alphabetical list of members. Also contains records for Zion Chapel, Brick Chapel, Zion Church, Brick Church, Morris Schoolhouse, McCormick in Cedar and Johnson Counties.
- David Rumsey Map Collection is a large online collection of rare, old, antique historical atlases, globes, maps, charts plus other cartographic treasures.
Early migration routes to and from Cedar County, Iowa Genealogy for European settlers included:
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Cedar Rapids newspapers that may have included Cedar County residents. This database is free at some libraries.
Societies and Libraries
- Cedar County Historical Society & Museum
1094 Hwy 38 PO Box 254
Tipton IA 52772
Family History Centers
Sources and Footnotes
- A Topical History of Cedar County, Iowa Google Books
- History of Cedar County, Iowa 1878
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Methodist Church. West Branch circuit FHL 986174 Item 1
- National Park Service, "Auto Tour Route Maps" in Mormon Pioneer National Historic Trail at http://www.nps.gov/mopi/planyourvisit/maps.htm (accessed 18 July 2011).