Chambers County, Texas Genealogy
Adopted by Chambers County, TXGenWeb
Billy & Carla Karbowski Clifton
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Chambers County has had two county seats and four courthouses. Waller, the first county seat (1858-1908), was home to two courthouses. The first was built in 1854 and destroyed by arson in 1875. A schoolhouse, built in 1869 served as a courthouse until the second Chambers County Courthouse was completed in 1886. This courthouse was used until 1908, when the county seat was moved to Anahuac. The building was later torn down in 1948. 
The county's third courthouse was built in Anahuac in 1912. This courthouse burned in 1935, and was replaced in 1936 with the current courthouse, a modern limetone and cement building.
Chambers County Courthouse
Heather H. Hawthorne - County Clerk
404 Washington Ave
P. O. Box 728
Anahuac, Texas 77514
(409) 267- 2418
(409) 267-8315 FAX
Chambers County Government website
The first permanent settlement began in 1821 when the Spanish established a fortress at Anahuac and allowed American colonists to enter.
The county was named for Thomas Jefferson Chambers, (1802-1865), a lawyer and land speculator, was born in Orange County, Virginia, on April 13, 1802, the youngest of twenty children of Thomas Chambers and the ninth of his second wife, Mary (Gore).
1875--Chambers County Courthouse in Wallisville and most, if not all, county records were destroyed by fire on December 2, 1875.
1935--Chambers County Courthouse in Anahuac destroyed by fire on April 28, 1935. All records were saved. 
Places / Localities
- Chambers County: A Pictorial History, 1988 by Margaret S. Henson and Kevin Ladd.
- Chambers County History from the Handbook of Texas Online
Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903
Societies and Libraries
- TXGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Texas Escapes: Chambers County Courthouse http://www.texasescapes.com/TexasGulfCoastTowns/Anahuac-Texas-Chambers-County-Courthouse.htm
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- GenDisasters.com - Anahuac, TX Chambers County Courthouse Fire, Apr 1935 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/18201/anahuac-tx-chambers-county-courthouse-fire-apr-1935