Champaign County, Illinois Genealogy
|Champaign County, Illinois|
Location in the state of Illinois
Location of Illinois in the U.S.
|Founded:||February 20, 1833|
|Illinois Regional Archives Depository, Illinois State Archives|
|Address|| Champaign County Courthouse|
101 E. Main Street
Urbana, Illinois 61801
Champaign County Website
- 1 Champaign County Organization
- 2 Records and Resources
- 2.1 Biography
- 2.2 Cemeteries
- 2.3 Census
- 2.4 Church Records
- 2.5 Court Records
- 2.6 Directories
- 2.7 Ethnic Research
- 2.8 Genealogy
- 2.9 History
- 2.10 Land and Property
- 2.11 Maps
- 2.12 Military History and Records
- 2.13 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.14 Newspapers
- 2.15 Obituaries
- 2.16 Probate Records
- 2.17 Public Records
- 2.18 Repositories
- 2.19 Social Groups Online
- 2.20 Societies
- 2.21 Taxation
- 2.22 Vital Records
- 2.23 Voter Registration
- 3 Place/Localities
- 4 Societies and Libraries
- 5 Websites
- 6 References
Champaign County Organization
Copies of historic Champaign County records are available through the Urbana Free Library as part of the Champaign County Historical Archives. Birth, marriage, death, obituary, newspaper, yearbook, cemetery, probate and other records have been indexed and can be searched at Local History Online. For more information about Champaign County's records, see the Champaign County Courthouse page.
Large numbers of Ohio residents settled in frontier Champaign County, Illinois. The name of the county (Champaign) is reminiscent of Champaign County, Ohio - the previous residence of many pioneer settlers.
- 1790-1801 originally part of Knox, Northwest Territory
1801-1812 St. Clair (Illinois Territory)
1812-1813 Madison (Illinois Territory)
1815-1816 Edwards (Illinois Territory)
1816-1819 Crawford (Illinois Statehood 1818)
1819-1823 Clark County, Illinois
1823-1826 Edgar County, Illinois
1826-1833 Vermilion County, Illinois
- Interactive map of Champaign County boundary changes.
Records and Resources
The Historical Encyclopedia of Illinois has a Champaign County edition. This includes a state history section along with a county history and biographies of Champaign County residents. See the wiki article for links to available copies and indexes.
- Champaign Co. IL USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- Illinois Cemeteries by county.
- Linkpendium has a list of cemeteries transcriptions many done by the Champaign County Genealogical Society.
For information and tips on accessing census records online, see Illinois Census.
|IL Counties 1900-1990|
1899-1970 Shiloh Methodist Episcopal Church Records. FHL Films 1295957 and 1295958
1909-1925 Oak Grove Church. FHL film 1295960 items 7-9
Linkpendium has many church records transcripted by the Federation of East European Family History Societies.
Records of the First United Methodist Church, pastors, 1856-2002, marriages 1868-1948, baptisms 1868-1948 and summary church history. by Wilson M. Zaring. WorldCat
Parish Records of Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church at Philo, Illinois, 1875-1931. by Wayne M. Fabert WordCat
Parish Records of St. Peter's Evangelical Church 1865-1943. by Wayne M. Fabert WorldCat
Parish Records of St. Paul's Evangelical Church, 1887-1959. By Wayne M. Fabert WorldCat
A Commemorative History of Champaign County, Illinois, 1833-1983. by Willis C. Baker and Patricia L. Miller contains a section on church history in the county.
Original court records are held in the office of the Circuit Court Clerk. See Illinois Court Records for more information about using court records.
The following abstracts and copies of original records may be accessed through the Family History Library or the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) located at the Illinois State University (ISU) - search for Champaign County records. For information on how to use IRAD see the ISU IRAD Wiki page.
- Court Record 1833-1852, 1857-1872 FHL film 338058 Item 2-3
- Circuit Court Recognizance Record 1869-1877 IRAD (ISU)
Available at Ancestry:
J.S.Lothrop's Champaign County Directory 1870-1871.
Additional directories available at: Linkpendium.
The following have information concerning African American research.
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Illinois State Archives pamphlet on African American Research describes what records are at the State Archives with an online method for ordering records.
- African-American Resources for Illinois
Land and Property
Original land records are held in the office of the County Clerk . See Illinois Land and Property for more information about using land records.
The following abstracts and copies of original records may be accessed through online sources, the Family History Library or the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) located at the Illinois State University (ISU) - search for Champaign County records. For information on how to use IRAD see the ISU IRAD Wiki page.
- 1833-1927 Deed Index. - Also available through the Family History Library and its Centers FHL film: 1026929 - 1026953
- 1833-1902 Deed Record - Also available through the Family History Library and its Centers FHL Film: 1026954 (first film)
- 1862-1877 Chattel Mortgage Record IRAD (ISU)
- 1959-1965 Chattel Mortgages IRAD (ISU)
Military History and Records
Linkpendium links data to information and records for the Revolutionary War, Civil War, World War I, and World War II.
War of 1812
Black Hawk War
Civil War service men from Champaign County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Champaign County.
- - 2nd Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, Company I
- - 10th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, Company I
- - 16th Regiment, Illinois Cavalry, Company L
- - 20th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company A
- - 25th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company C, Company G, Company I, and Company K
- - 26th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company F, and Company I
- - 38th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company C.
- - 51st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company B, and Company E.
- - 67th Regiment, Illinois Inffantry, Company K
- - 71st Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company C, Company F, and Company ;H.
- - 72nd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company G.
- - 76th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company B, and Company G.
- - 125th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company E, Company F, and Company H
- - 133rd Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company K
- - 135th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company A, and Company B
- - 154th Regiment, Illinois Infantry, Company A, and Company B
- Behrens, Robert H. From Salt Fork to Chickamauga: Champaign County Soldiers in the Civil War, includes full-name index of 3,200 men. WorldCat 19491556, FHL Book 977.366 M2b
- 1916-1931 Cemetery Record, Civil War Veterans - IRAD
World War I
World War II
Army Enlistees Alphabetical list - USGenWeb
Army Casualties Part 2 U.S. National Archives and Records Administration
Naturalization and Citizenship
IRAD-ISU (Illinois State University) The following records originally from Office: Circuit Court])
- Circuit Court:
- 1858-1906 Naturalization Records
- 1866-1906 Naturalization Records of Minors
- 1866-1892 Naturalization Records of Soldiers
- 1872-1906 Naturlaization Records
- County Court:
- 1860-1902 Naturalization Records
- 1866-1896 Naturalization Records of Minors
- 1866-1889 Naturalization Records of Soldiers
- 1896-1906 Naturalization Decarations of Intent
- Family History Library and Centers
- Naturalization records, 1858-1906 (Circuit Court) FHL Film 1026928
- Naturalization records, 1860-1906 (County Court) FHL Films 338057 - 338058
Ancestry.com ($) has:
- Champaign, Illinois Newspaper Index, 1892 search by name, date and event.
- The Evening Courier: 1935-39 and1941-1944.
Newspaper death notices and obituaries from 1894 to the present are included in the Champaign County Historical Archives, and can be searched on-line using the Local History Index. Obituaries are indexed by both a woman’s maiden as well as her married name(s) if that information was included in the obituary. The index covers the following newspapers:
- Urbana Courier - August 1894– March 1979
- Champaign News Gazette - September 1938 – April 2011
The original files for all known probate cases from 1833 - 1922 are kept at the Champaign County Historical Archives at the Urbana Free Library.
Original estates and wills from 1923 to the present are held in the office of the Circuit Court Clerk. Probate records from 1992 to the present are indexed and available on-line at Champaign County's Public Access Case Lookup System .
See Illinois Probate Records for more information about using probate records.
- Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) at Illinois State University
The following abstracts and copies of original records may be accessed through the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) located at the Illinois State University (ISU). To see all probate records available for Champaign County, search the Local Government Record Holdings with Champaign County selected and the word "probate" in the title search box. For more information about how to access records held at an Illinois Regional Archive Depository, see the ISU IRAD Wiki page.
- 1835-1976 Probate Record Index
- 1833-1953 Probate Will Records
- 1833-1891 Probate Case Files (microfilm copies)
- 1838-1851 Probate Records
- 1859-1952 Probate Inventory Record
- 1864-1943 Probate Appraisement Record
- 1868-1907 Probate Sale Record, Real Estate
- 1950-1955 Probate Appraisement Review Record
- Family History Library and Centers
The following abstracts and copies of original records may be accessed through the Family History Library
- 1833-1851 Probate Records. - FHL film 338058 Items 4-5
- 1851-1921 Probate Records. - FHL film 1026924-1026927
- 1877-1900 Probate Packets. - FHL 21 films
- 1851-1921 Wills are also available in Illinois, Probate Records, 1819-1970. Click on the browse through images link, select Champaign County, and select the record type you are interested in.
- 1833-1948 Probate Will Records (handwritten copies in Will Books)
- 1833-1922 Probate Case Files (complete, orignal files)
- IRAD - ISU Holdings
- 1833-1942 Board of Supervisors' Minutes
- 1956-1964 County Officials' Bonds and Oaths of Office
- 1872-1966 Notary Public Registers
- 1916-1922 Optometrist Registers
- 1869-1872 Patent Record, Invention
- 1877-1965 Professional Registers
- 1950-1962 Drainage District Accounts
- 1937-1963 Drainage District Assessment Record, Delinquent
- 1942-1947 Drainage District Bank Books
- 1928-1951 Drainage District Collector's Books
- 1908-1957 Drainage District Collector's Books, Kankakee District
- 1911-1955 Drainage District Collector's Books, Special District
- 1914-1931 Drainage District Ledgers
- County Courthouse
County records are most often kept at the County Courthouse or another local repository. For further information about where the records for Champaign County are kept, see the Champaign County Courthouse page.
- Family History Center Find a FamilySearch Center
- Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD)
Illinois State University (ISU)
2016 Warehouse Road Campus
Normal, Illinois 61802
Illinois Regional Archives Depository System Illinois State University Region
- Public Libraries
Urbana Free Library
210 West Green Street
Urbana, IL 61801
Phone: (217) 367-4025
Fax: (217) 531-7088
Expanding on an index-card based index created in the 1960's and 1970's, the Urbana Free Library has created an on-line index of Champaign County historical records of genealogical interest called the Champaign County Historical Archive. Included are newspaper mentions of birth, marriage and death notices, along with official county records of birth, marriage, death, wills, probate, cemetery and other records. The index includes details (names and dates) that make it easy to identify records of interst.
Copies (non-certified) can be requested using the library's printable PDF Request Form.
Social Groups Online
IRAD - ISU (Illinois State University)
- 1857-1872 Tax Sale Record
- 1935-1945 Tax Assessment Abstracts
- 1947-1965 Tax Ledgers
- 1906-1964 Collector's Accounts
- 1950-1966 Collector's and Treasurer's Accounts
- 1931-1964 County Annual Audit Reports
- 1948-1965 Treasurer's Ledgers
- 1946-1958 Motor Fuel Tax Allotment Record
See Illinois Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Illinois. Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Original birth and death certificates recorded until the year 1916 are kept by the Champaign County Clerk while those recorded after 1916 are kept by the Illinois Department of Public Health with a copy to the County Clerk. Original marriage records are usually kept by the County Clerk from the establishment of the county to the present. Original divorce records are generally in the office of the Circuit Court Clerk.
The following abstracts and copies of original records may be accessed through online databases, the Family History Library and the Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) located at the Illinois State University (ISU) - search for Champaign County records. For information on how to use IRAD see the ISU IRAD Wiki page.
- Birth Record Index- IRAD years unlisted.
- 1878-1901 Birth Record - IRAD (ISU). Also available through FHL Films 1295929-1295930
- 1940-1946 Birth Certificates - IRAD (ISU) Adoptees. - may be restricted
- 1864-1932 Marriage Record Index. IRAD (ISU)
- 1833-1915 Marriage Licenses. IRAD (ISU)
- 1833-1932 Marriage Record IRAD (ISU) Also available with index through FHL films 338045 first film
- 1878-1973 Marriage License Applications IRAD (ISU)
- 1763-1900 Illinois Statewide Marriage Index, 1763-1900
- 1790–1860 Illinois Marriage index found at Ancestry.com ($)
- Some of the Family History Library's Collection of Champaign County marriages have been digitized: Illinois County Marriages, 1810-1934.
- 1878-1949 Death Record Index - IRAD (ISU) Also available through Family History Library and its centers FHL Films 1032320 first film
- 1878-1901 Death Record - IRAD (ISU) Also available through Family History Library and its centers FHL films 1032316 first film
- 1902-1915Death Certificates - IRAD (ISU)
- 1916-1950 Database of Illinois Death Certificates, 1916-1950
- Pre-1916 Illinois Statewide Death Index, Pre-1916
- 1850–1885 U.S. Federal Census Mortality Schedules, 1850-1885 found at Ancestry.com ($)
Societies and Libraries
The Urbana Free Library
210 West Green Street
Urbana, Illinois 61801-5326
The Urbana Free Library offers a variety of resources to new and experienced genealogists, including access to on-line premium genealogy web sites Ancestry.com, Footnote.com, HeritageQuest and WorldVitalRecords, and more than 25,000 books and journals. See the Champaign County Historical Archives Local History On-Line to search the index of Champaign County birth, marriage, death, probate, burial, yearbook, and other records available through the library.
Champaign Illinois Family History Center
605 West Windsor Road
Champaign, IL 61820
To learn more about the genealogical resources available at Family History Centers, see Introduction to LDS Family History Centers. For center hours and holiday closure information, see Champaign Illinois Family History Center.
Champaign County Genealogical Society
c/o Champaign County Historical Archives
Urbana Free Library
210 West Green Street
Urbana, Illinois 61801-5326
Champaign County Historical Museum
102 East University Avenue
The Champaign County Historical Museum is a non-profit organization that preserves and displays artifacts associated with the people and events of Champaign County. Collections include University of Illinois yearbooks, historic quilts, photos and other items that may be of interest to genealogists. The museum is currently closed (as of August 2011) while changes are made to exhibits.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Champaign County, Illinois Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Databases Pertinent to Champaign County
- Local Governmental Records Database
- Name Index to Illinois Local Governments
- Illinois Statewide Marriage Index
- Illinois Statewide Death Index, 1916–1950
- Illinois Public Domain Land Tract Sales Database
- Federal Township Plats of Illinois