Chariton County, Missouri Genealogy
- 1 Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Chariton County Courthouse
306 S Cherry
Keytesville, MO 65261
County Clerk has birth and death records 1883-1887;
Circuit Court Clerk Recorder has marriage records from 1821,
divorce and court records from 1872, land from 1827,
naturalization records from 1877 and military dischrage
records from 1918; Circuit Court Division has probate Records
See an interactive map of Chariton County boundary changes at N2Genealogy.
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all Missouri Counties.
For tips on accessing Chariton County, Missouri Genealogy census records online, see: Missouri Census.
- Map of Chariton County townships (Histopolis)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Chariton County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Chillicothe newspapers and Moberly newspapers from the late 1800's and early 1900's that covered local news on residents from Chariton County communities.
- The Archives of The Chillicothe Constitution Tribune (1889-2009) provides free access to their newspapers online. This is essentially the same collection of Chillicothe newspapers mentioned above for NewspaperArchive.com.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Chariton County, Missouri. Page 398 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).