| Charleston County, South Carolina Public Library
Web Address: http://www.ccpl.org/default.asp
E-mail: You can telephone, email, or text questions to the main library using the Contact Us links on their site.
- 68 Calhoun Street
Charleston, South Carolina 29401
- Telephone: 813-805-6930 Fax: 843-727-3741
Hours and holidays:
Monday – Thursday: 9:00 a.m. – 8:00 p.m.; Friday & Saturday: 9:00 a.m – 6:00 p.m; Sunday: 2:p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Closed holidays.
- The South Carolina Room located on the 2nd floor of the Main Library houses local history and genealogy materials and resources. The mission is to collect, preserve and make accessible those materials focusing on the history and genealogy of South Carolina, with special emphasis on Charleston and the Lowcountry. It offers limited research services. Written requests by mail, e-mail, or fax, are preferred, rather than by telephone. Surname searches are too broad for the staff to do. The staff will check up to a maximum of three names in either the Charleston County Will Books (1671-1868) or the Charleston Death Card File (1819-1926), when the patron has specified those as the sources to be checked. They will check up to a maximum of three names per request for obituaries. Obituary requests must have a date of death; newspaper will be checked for up to seven days following the date of death for an obituary. Requests are limited to two requests per patron per month.
- The Charleston Archive also located on the second floor of the Main Library, is an archive of historic manuscripts, books and visual materials representing Charleston and the surrounding Lowcountry. Its collection includes historic manuscripts, books and visual materials representing Charleston and the surrounding Lowcountry. Much of it is available on microfilm in the South Carolina Room. Access to the original materials is by appointment only.
- The Charleston County Pullic Library has a catalog online for its patrons with library cards.
- Staff is available for assistance during normal hours of operation.
The genealogical collections at this library focus on Charleston and surrounding counties with resources from around the state. There are manuscripts, books, photos, newspapers, maps, microfilms, and images.
- There are 16 branches of the Charleston County Public Library throughout Charleston. For hours, phone numbers and addresses for each branch, Click Here.
- The Charleston Library Society, begun in 1748 to preserve library materials in the homes of the founders.In 1914 the Library Society moved to its current location at 164 King Street.
- Charleston Archives, Libraries and Museums Council. (CALM) is a group of Charleston, S.C. area organizations interested in preservation of and access to historic and contemporary materials. It includes liblaries, museums, societies, churches, and institutions of learning.