Difference between revisions of "Charlestown, Cornwall Genealogy"

From FamilySearch Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Created page with ' == HISTORY == St. Paul's Church of England, established in 1846 but built in 1851; St. Levan C. of E. chapel, Pentewan's All Saints Church of England church, built in 1821 by…')
 
Line 1: Line 1:
 +
== HISTORY ==
  
== HISTORY ==
+
Charlestown Parish, occupying a very large section of the coastline for St. Austell Bay, originated from the tiny hamlet of West Polmear, population 7.  In 1769, Charles Rashleigh, a successful lawyer and mining adventurer, saw the need for a port to handle china clay shipments from St. Austell's upper quarter.  He bought the land, and hired men to carve out a port by hand from where the tiny fishing hamlet once stood.  In time, his project became a model Georgian "new town", and took the name of its founder.  Mount Charles was also named for him. 
 +
 
 +
The town flourished along with the china clay trade.  In 1847, it became the hub of a new parish, carved from St. Austell parish, which held land from Porthpean to Par.  The parish church, St. Paul's Church of England, was established in 1846 but built in 1851; it's finishing spire wasn't completed until 1971. 
  
 +
St. Levan C. of E. chapel, built by the Sawle family to serve their manor of Penrice.
  
 +
Pentewan's All Saints Church of England church, built in 1821 by Sir Charles
  
St. Paul's Church of England, established in 1846 but built in 1851; St. Levan C. of E. chapel, Pentewan's All Saints Church of England church, built in 1821 by Sir Charles Tregrehan Mills Primitive Methodist church from 1830, which is still active, London Apprentice chapel is still open, too.  
+
Tregrehan Mills Primitive Methodist church from 1830, which is still active, London Apprentice chapel is still open, too.  
  
 
Polgooth Methodist, penwithick Methodist, Mount Charles Victoria Road Wesleyan Methodist, Carclaze Methodist, and Betherl Methodist (still active).   
 
Polgooth Methodist, penwithick Methodist, Mount Charles Victoria Road Wesleyan Methodist, Carclaze Methodist, and Betherl Methodist (still active).   

Revision as of 05:12, 14 January 2010

HISTORY

Charlestown Parish, occupying a very large section of the coastline for St. Austell Bay, originated from the tiny hamlet of West Polmear, population 7. In 1769, Charles Rashleigh, a successful lawyer and mining adventurer, saw the need for a port to handle china clay shipments from St. Austell's upper quarter. He bought the land, and hired men to carve out a port by hand from where the tiny fishing hamlet once stood. In time, his project became a model Georgian "new town", and took the name of its founder. Mount Charles was also named for him.

The town flourished along with the china clay trade. In 1847, it became the hub of a new parish, carved from St. Austell parish, which held land from Porthpean to Par. The parish church, St. Paul's Church of England, was established in 1846 but built in 1851; it's finishing spire wasn't completed until 1971.

St. Levan C. of E. chapel, built by the Sawle family to serve their manor of Penrice.

Pentewan's All Saints Church of England church, built in 1821 by Sir Charles

Tregrehan Mills Primitive Methodist church from 1830, which is still active, London Apprentice chapel is still open, too.

Polgooth Methodist, penwithick Methodist, Mount Charles Victoria Road Wesleyan Methodist, Carclaze Methodist, and Betherl Methodist (still active).

There were also Baptist chapels, and a Society of Friends circuit included this area.

REFERENCES AND RECOMMENDED READING

EXTERNAL LINKS