Charlottesville Virginia Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
Our Family HIstory Center is located in central Virginia in the historic town of Charlottesville, home of Thomas Jefferson's Monticello.
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- Address: 1275 Timberwood Boulevard, Charlottesville VA 22911
- We are located just off Airport Road between Route 29 and the Airport. The entrance to our library is at the back of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. There is plenty of parking. The door is usually locked; please ring the doorbell and someone will come and let you in.
- Location on Map
Phone: (434) 964-1715
Open Hours: Tuesdays and Wednesdays - 9:00 am -12:00 noon and 6:00 pm - 8:30 pm
Holiday Schedule: We are closed the entire month of August; the week of Thanksgiving; and the week between Christmas and New Year
Calendar and Events
The 6th annual Genealogy Conference will be held on Saturday, June 16, 2012. Please mark your calendars and plan to spend the day with us. The theme is "Forget Them Not" and our keynote speaker will be Jean L. Cooper from the University of Virginia Alderman Library. Through the wonder of technology, we will have classes in both Charlottesville and Waynesboro. Plan to spend the day with us. Bring a sack lunch and we will provide drinks. Open registration begins at 8 am and we will finish about 3 pm. We strongly encourage online registration at <http://charlottesville-fhc.org> This event is free to the public.
Staff Training Meetings
Our next staff training meeting will be at 12:00 noon on Wednesday, April 25th. We encourage all consultants to attend.
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- Our permanent collection includes: donated books, magazines, and reference materials; hundreds of microfilms and microfiche, especially about Virginia and Germany and various other topics or locations.
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Hardware and Equipment
- To help you do your research, we have 5 computers, 2 printers, 5 microfilm readers, and 2 microfiche readers in 2 reading rooms. We also have an imager, but it is old and difficult to use. We suggest that you bring a digital camera (if you have one) and use that to copy pages from microfilms that you might want to keep for your records. PLEASE NOTE that we follow all copyright laws.
Resources in the Local Area
University of Virginia Alderman LIbrary (434) 924-3025
Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society (434) 296-7294
Charlottesville Virginia Genealogical Association (c/o Susan Emert) (434) 962-9638
Volunteer at the Center
If you are interested in volunteering at our Family HIstory Center, please call Sheila Blight @ (434) 985-3132