Chautauqua County, Kansas Genealogy
Chautauqua County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
- 1 How do I find birth, marriage or death information?
- 2 How do I find a map showing where a person lived in the county?
- 3 How do I find siblings for a person I know about?
- 4 County Courthouse
- 5 History
- 6 Resources
- 7 Societies and Libraries
- 8 External Links
- 9 References
How do I find birth, marriage or death information?
Birth, marriage and death information can be found in vital records. Information about these events may also be found in other records. Registration of births and deaths by the state began in July 1911, marriages in May 1913.
County births and deaths before July 1911
County Marriages before May 1913
State births and deaths from July 1911
State marriages from May 1913.
How do I find a map showing where a person lived in the county?
How do I find siblings for a person I know about?
Chautauqua County Courthouse
215 N Chautauqua
Sedan, KS 67361
Register of Deeds has death and burial records from 1871, land records from 1870 and military records from 1940.
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records.
Clerk District Court has divorce and court records.
1875--Chautauqua County was created 3 March 1875 from Howard (Old) County. County seat: Sedan 
- For information about Civil War records see Howard County.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Chautauqua County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Chautauqua County, Iowa 248 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).