Cheadle Hulme All Saints, Cheshire Genealogy
Cheadle Hulme All Saints was created as a parish from the Ancient parish of Cheadle St Mary's Created as separate parish from 1868, serving parts of the townships of Cheadle Bulkeley, Cheadle Moseley and Stockport Etchells.
The Domesday Book provides the earliest mention of the area, where it is recorded as "Cedde", Celtic for "wood". A stone cross dedicated to the Anglo-Saxon St Chad, discovered in 1873, indicates Anglo-Saxon activity. The cross was found in an area called "Chad Hill", on the banks of the Micker Brook near its confluence with the River Mersey; this area became "Chedle". Suggestions for the origin of the name include the words cedde, and leigh or leah, in Old English meaning "clearing", forming the modern day "Cheadle". "Holme" may have been derived from the Danish word for "water meadow" or "island in the fen".
Parish registers for Cheadle-Hulme, 1869-1935 Cheshire Record Office reference: P268/1.
Cheadle-Hulme was a chapel-of-ease in Cheadle St Mary parish.
An index for Cheshire parish registers is available online in Record Search
|Marriages, 1869-1935|| FHL BRITISH Film |
2104410 Item 13
Poor Law Unions
- For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Stockport/Stockport.shtml
registration events may be searched online at Cheshire BMD