Cheadle St Mary's, Cheshire Genealogy
Cheadle St Mary's is an Ancient parish in Cheshire and included Bosden, Brookistone, Cheadle Bulkeley, Cheadle Grange, Cheadle Mill, Oakamoor, Freehay, Handforth, Handforth cum Bosden, Handforth St Chad, Huntley, and Cheadle Moseley.
A church has been on this site since at least 1200, but the present church was built mainly between 1520 and 1550.The south chapel was completed in 1530, the nave in 1541, and the tower was built between 1520 and 1540. The chancel was built between 1556 and 1558 for Lady Katheryn Bulkeley, who had formerly been the Abbess of Godstow. The south porch is dated 1634, but this was the date it was repaired rather than the date of its building. There was a major restoration between 1875 and 1882 during which time a vestry was added in 1877.
Subsequent developmment of the town lead to creation of other churches within the ancient parish :Cheadle Hulme All Saints, Cheshire.
Registers of Baptisms 1558–1987, Marriages 1558–1981 and Burials 1558–1982 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office.
Poor Law Unions
- For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: www.workhouses.org.uk and http://www.workhouses.org.uk/index.html?Stockport/Stockport.shtml
- Stockport (1879–1930)
registration events may be searched online at Cheshire BMD
Salter, Mark (1995), The Old Parish Churches of Cheshire, Malvern: Folly Publications, pp. 28–29, ISBN 1871731232
Richards, Raymond (1947), Old Cheshire Churches, London: Batsford, pp. 91–93
Pevsner, Nikolaus; Edward Hubbard (2003) , The Buildings of England: Cheshire, New Haven: Yale University Press, p. 127, ISBN 0 300 09588 0