Cheetham St Luke
CHEETHAM, a township, in the parish and union of Manchester, hundred of Salford, S. division of the county of Lancaster, 2 miles (N. by W.) from Manchester; There are two meeting-houses for Wesleyans, with a burial-ground and a school attached to one of them; also a place of worship for Associated Methodists.
Cheetham Hill St Luke, was a township and chapelry as of 1839 laying within the civil parish of Manchester.
The foundation stone was lain Wednesday June 29th 1836 and the church was consecrated on Sunday 6th October 1839.
The cost of £23,000 to build the church was raised locally and the site of the church was given by the Earl of Derby.
It was regarded as one of the finest examples of church architecture in Manchester.
It had 1,250 seats, 500 of which were free from pew rents.
The organ was consecrated by the fingers of Mendelssohn, who played it in 1847, the year of his death when he visited Manchester to give a performance of his 'Elijah'.
St. Luke's attracted a fashionable congregation, but towards the end of the 19th century its decline commenced as people moved further from the city centre.
In 1877 St. Luke's was the wealthiest of Manchester's churches.
Today, all that remains of the church is a crumbling tower, the remainder having been demolished during the late 1980's.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Online transcriptions for Cheetham St Mark Redbank Chapelry exist, as well as for the ancient parish of Manchester Our Lady, St George, and St Denys--to which it was attached. Links to online baptisms, marriages and burials registers are displayed below and located at the web sites indicated; note the ranges of years:
|LOPC = Lancashire Online Parish Clerk|
|FMP = FMP = FindMyPast|
|LBMD = Lancashire BMD|
|AC = Ancestry.co.uk|
|CHEETHAM ST LUKE Chapelry (1839) Indexes|
|CHEETHAM ST ALBANS Chapelry (1881) Indexes|
|LBMD||1881-1917||1881-1982 - part.||1837-1882|
|CHEETHAM ST THOMAS Chapelry (1844) Indexes|
|CHEETHAM ST MARK REDBANK Chapelry (1794) Indexes|
MANCHESTER CATHEDRAL - OUR LADY, ST GEORGE AND ST DENYS (1573) Indexes
|LOPC||1573-1616;1777-1837||1573-1616;1782-1836 - part. yrs||1573-1616;1792-1836 - part. yrs|
To view a full list of all chapelries and district churches in the ancient parish of Manchester and their respective links to online transcriptions of their baptisms, marriages and burials, be sure to visit the MANCHESTER (CATHEDRAL) OUR LADY, ST GEORGE & ST DENYS page.
The original registers formerly held at the Manchester Central Library, Manchester, England. Cheetham is a chapelry with at least four chapelries by 1880, in Manchester parish.
FamilySearch has microfilm copies of the original parish (chapel) registers for St. Luke's Church, Cheetham, 1839-1981. Microfilm copies of originals formerly held at the Manchester Central Library, Manchester, England. Cheetham St Mark is a chapelry in Manchester parish. Original records are held at Manchester Central Library.
Parish registers for St. Luke's Church, Cheetham, 1839-1981 Microfilm copy of originals formerly held at the Manchester Central Library, Manchester, England. Cheetham is a chapelry in Manchester parish. Manchester Central Library call nos.: M339/1/1/1-4, M339/1/2/1-6, M339/1/3/1-8.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Lancashire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 562-569.
| This section requires expansion with:
any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above..