Cherokee County, Kansas Genealogy
Cherokee County, Kansas genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Cherokee County, Kansas|
Location in the state of Kansas
Location of Kansas in the U.S.
|Founded||August 30, 1855|
|Address|| Cherokee County Courthouse|
110 W. Maple Street
Columbus, Kansas 66725-0014
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Cherokee County Courthouse
110 W. Maple
Columbus, KS 66725
Formerly McGee Co. Name changed to Cherokee 18 Feb 1860
Register of Deeds has land records from 1866,
Probate Court has probate records from 1870.
County Clerk has birth, marriage and death records. 
1855--Cherokee County was created 30 August 1855 from unorganized territory. County seat: Columbus 
- Craig County, Oklahoma
- Jasper County, Missouri
- Newton County, Missouri
- Ottawa County, Oklahoma
- Map of Cherokee County townships (Histopolis)
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Cherokee County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Kansas
- Cherokee County was organized after the Civil War.
Men from this County enlisted in 1st Infantry Regiment, Company A.
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Joplin, Missouri newspapers and Neosho, Missouri newspapers from the early 1900's that covered local news on residents from Cherokee County communities.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cherokee County, Kansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cherokee County, Kansas 249 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 2 August, 2012)