Chichester All Saints, Sussex Genealogy
Chichester All Saints is an Ancient Parish and a market town in the county of Sussex.
The living of All Saints' is a discharged rectory, valued in the king's books at £5. 17. 6.; net income, £55; patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury.
From: A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 586-593. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=50872 Date accessed: 07 April 2011.
The church of ALL SAINTS IN THE PALLANT, on the east side of West Pallant, is in plan a rectangular room 63 ft. 6 in. by 22 ft., with a vestry at the east end of the north side, added in the 19th century. The walls are of flint with stone dressings; the north wall has been covered with rough-cast. The roof is tiled. The church was built in the first half of the 13th century and restored in the 19th century. There is no structural division between the chancel and nave except a rise by a 6 in. step to the chancel, and two more steps to the altar rails. In the east wall is a 13th-century triple lancet window under a hooded arch; the outer mouldings of each lancet are carried on slender shafts. Below the window is a modern string-course. The vestry, approached through two pointed arches of poor design, is lighted by lancet windows and has a doorway in the north wall. Under the more easterly of the two arches is the organ. The south wall is pierced by six 13th-century lancet windows and has a blocked 13th-century doorway at the west end. The north wall is pierced by five similar windows; possibly there were two more lancets at the east end which were blocked when the vestry was built. Below the most easterly window in the south wall is a trefoil-headed piscina. The west wall contains a 13th-century single-light window above the doorway. Over the west window is a small circular window with trefoil cusps. There is a gallery over the west end added in the early part of the 19th century; beneath it is the entrance vestibule. The ceiling, of mansard form, is modern, and probably replaces an open timber roof. The north-west corner is strengthened by a simple 13th-century buttress, while the south-west corner, to avoid projection into the street, is curiously splayed and corbelled with two bosses, much decayed. The fittings are all modern.
From: 'Chichester: Churches (Anglican)', A History of the County of Sussex: Volume 3 (1935), pp. 160-164. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=41675 Date accessed: 07 April 2011.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Contributor: Include an overview if there is any unique information, such as the census for X year was destroyed. Add a link to online sites for indexes and/or images. Also add a link to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Sussex Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: Add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.