The town of Chirk, and much of the surrounding area was for centuries under the influence of nearby Chirk Castle and, later, the Trevor family of Brynkinallt in Chirk.
The parish of Chirk was divided into five townships:
- Halton (Welsh: Halchdyn)
- Brynkinallt (Welsh: Bryncunallt)
- Pen y Clawdd
Chirk was formerly a coal mining community, with coal being worked since the 17th century. The largest of these collieries were Black Park (one of the oldest in the north of Wales) and Brynkinallt. All mining ceased in the area during the 1960s.
It was a coaching stop on the old mail coach route along the A5 road from London to Holyhead.
The Chester to Ruabon railway had been extended south to Shrewsbury by 1848 with stations at Llangollen Road (at Whitehurst) and Chirk. South of the town a railway viaduct was constructed by Henry Robertson to take the line over the Ceiriog Valley.
|1536 - 31 March 1974||Denbighshire|
|1 April 1974 - 31 March 1996||Clwyd|
|from 1 April 1996||County Borough of Wrexham|
The parish of Chirk formed part of the Oswestry Registrar's District.
|1841||HO107/1399 Book 1 Folio 1 - Book 4 Folio 20|
|1851||HO107/1399 Folios 770-829|
|1861||RG9/1880 Folios 67-116|
|1871||RG10/2784 Folios 3-56|
|1881||RG11/2661 folios 36-95|
|1891||RG12/2188 folios 126-179|
The following Chirk Parish Registers have been deposited at the National Library of Wales in Aberystwyth:
|Baptisms||1678 - 1956|
|Marriages:||1611 - 1971|
|Burials||1611 - 1975|
There are no official records available on the IGI for Chirk parish.
Nonconformist Church Records
Births, marriages and deaths in Chirk are recorded in the GRO indexes as:
|1 Jul 1837 - 30 Sep 1935||St. Martin's||Oswestry|| XVIII (1837-51)|
|1 Oct 1935 - 1974||Wrexham|| 11b (1935-1946)|
Poor Law Union
In 1791, the Hundred of Oswestry and the border parishes of Chirk and Llansilin were incorporated under a local Act for poor relief. A workhouse was built at Morda.
The records for the Oswestry Union are held at Shropshire Record Office in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, England.
- C Neville Hurdsman, "A History of the Parish of Chirk", 1996, ISBN:187242452X