Choctaw County, Mississippi Genealogy
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1833 - Choctaw County was created from part of the territory ceded by the Choctaw Indians under the treaty of Dancing Rabbit in 1830. Choctaw county was organized December 23, 1833. County seat: Ackerman 
There have been several fires and early records are missing. Records after 1881 are found in Ackerman.
Places / Localities
- Civil War service men from Choctaw County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Choctaw County.
- - 1st Regiment, Mississippi Light Artillery
- Company C - Turner’s Battery
- - 2nd Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company A - Choctaw Rangers
- - 3rd Battalion, Mississippi Infantry
- Company D - Choctaw Rough & Ready Company
- - 4th Regiment, Mississippi Cavalry
- Company A - Bankston Guards
Societies and Libraries
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).