Chowan County, North Carolina Genealogy
|Chowan County, North Carolina|
Location in the state of North Carolina
Location of North Carolina in the U.S.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 4.1 Bibles
- 4.2 Biographies
- 4.3 Business Directories & Year Books
- 4.4 Cemeteries
- 4.5 Census
- 4.6 Church
- 4.7 Court
- 4.8 Ethnic
- 4.9 Family Histories
- 4.10 History
- 4.11 Maps
- 4.12 Military
- 4.13 Newspapers
- 4.14 Organizations
- 4.15 Vital Records
- 4.16 Wills & Estates
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
County CourthouseChowan County Courthouse
101 S Broad St
Edenton, Nc 27932
Register of Deeds has marriage and land records
Clerk Superior Court has probate and court records
Chowan County was formed from Albemarle in 1670.
Chowan was formed in 1670 as a precinct in Albemarle County. It was named in honor of the Indian tribe Chowan, which lived in the northeastern part of the Colony. It is in the northeastern section of the State and is bounded by Albemarle Sound, Chowan River, and Bertie, Hertford, Gates and Perquimans counties. The present land area is 172.64 square miles and the 2000 population was 14,150. In 1720, Edenton, which was named in honor of Governor Charles Eden, was established. In 1722 it was designated and has continued to be the county seat.
- Many court records said to have been destroyed by acting clerk of court.
Business Directories & Year Books
- 1872 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1903 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1904 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1905 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1910 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1911 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1912 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1913 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1914 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1915 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- 1916 Chowan Co., NC Business Directory
- Index to Chowan Co., NC Year Books
- Chowan Co., NC Cemetery List
- Selected Burial Information
- Chowan Co., NC Tombstone Transcription Project
- Chowan Co., NC Cemetery Survey
- Chowan Co., NC Cemeteries on Find-A-Grave
- Famous people buried in Chowan Co., NC
- 1787 Census for Chowan Co., NC
- 1790 Census for Chowan Co., NC
- Free Men Heads of Household for 1790, 1800, & 1820
For tips on accessing Chowan County, North Carolina Genealogy census records online, see: North Carolina Census.
St. Paul's Parish (Church of England, later Episcopal) has operated in Chowan County since colonial times.
- Fouts, Raymond Parker. The Vestry Minutes of St. Paul's Parish, Chowan County, North Carolina, 1701-1776. Second Edition. Cocoa, Fla., 1998. 1983 edition: FHL Book 975.6147 K2f.
- [de Clugny] Coddington, John Insley. "The Marquis de Clugny at Edenton, North Carolina, 1795-1798," The American Genealogist, Vol. 42, No. 3 (Jul. 1966):144-148. FHL 973 D25aga v. 42; digital version at New England Ancestors ($).
- [Jones] Jones, L.H. Captain Roger Jones of London and Virginia, Some of His Antecedents and Descendants: With Appreciative Notice of Other Families, viz.: Bathurst, Belford, Browning, Carter, Catesby, Cocke, Graham, Fauntleroy, Hickman, Hoskins, Latanes, Lewis, Meriwether, Skelton, Walker, Waring, Woodford, and Others: Notes. Albany, N.Y.: J. Munsell's Sons, 1891. FHL Fiche 6060672; digital version at Family History Archives; Google Books; Internet Archive.
- Early Names, Boundaries & Reliigion
- History of the Edenton Teapot
- The Signers of the Resolution of the Edenton Tea Party
- History of North Carolina's Parishes
- NC State Map with clickable counties
- Chowan Co., NC Township Map
- Formation of NC in Maps
- Albemarle County Map 1671-1684
- 1730 Herman Moll Map
- 1733 Edward Mosley Map
- 1744 Map of Lord Carteret's Land Grant
- 1775 Henry Mouzon, Jr. Map
- 1808 Price-Strothers Map
- Civil War Maps
- 1895 NC State Map
- 1936 Chowan Co., NC Map
- 1998 Chowan Co., NC Map
- Animated Atlas
- 1812 Chowan Co., NC Muster Roll
- Third Battalion NC Light Artillery; Company B from Chowan Co., NC
- Veterans Administration Pension Payment Cards 1907-1933
- WWII Honor List of Dead or Missing from Chowan Co., NC
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War battle was fought in Chowan County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in North Carolina.
Civil War Confederate units
Brief history, counties where recruited, etc.
- -1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry, usually known as the Bethel Regiment.
- -1st Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- -11th Regiment, North Carolina Infantry
- Chronicling America (Chowan Co., NC)
- North Carolina Newspaper Digitization Project, North Carolina State Archives. Search full text historical newspapers published in Edenton.
- UNC Southern Historical Collection
- Chowan Co., NC Marriage Bonds 1741-1868
- Chowan Co., NC Bastardy Bonds
- Obtaining Vitals Records
- Chowan County Marriage Bonds 1742-1868, available to members North Carolina Pioneers$
- North Carolina Marriages to 1799, a database, available to members. North Carolina Pioneers $
Wills & Estates
Societies and Libraries
Family history Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Treasures of North Carolina at the NC Archives
- Family History Library Catalog
- North Carolina Pioneers North Carolina Pioneers$
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Chowan County, North Carolina. Page 507 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 8 August, 2012)