Citrus County, Florida Genealogy
|Citrus County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||June 2, 1887|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
1887--Citrus County created 2 June 1887 from the northern most part of Hernando County. The original county seat was Mannfield and it was not ever intended to be the permanent county seat. About 16 months later, the citizens decided to make the town of Inverness the county seat as it was centrally located within the county. Ironically, the Mannfield Town clerk suddenly moved the records in the middle of the night a few days before the scheduled move was to take place.
Currently all that is left of Mannfield is the rubbleof a few house foundations and a small cemetery.
County seat: Inverness 
Places / Localities
- Crystal River
- Inverness (county seat)
- Beverly Hills
- Black Diamond
- Citrus Hills
- Citrus Springs
- Floral City
- Homosassa Springs
- Inverness Highlands North
- Inverness Highlands South
- Oak Hill
- Pine Ridge
- Pleassant Grove
- Red Level
- Sugarmill Woods
- Mannfield (original county seat, now a ghost town)
- Stage Pond (Cemetery still remains)
- Fairmount (town site is now Meadowcrest Industrial Park)
Citrus County Cemeteries at Citrus County FLGenWeb
Societies and Libraries
- The Citrus County FLGenWeb Project; a member of The FLGenWeb Project, an affiliate of the USGenWeb Project
- USGenWeb Project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- USGenWeb Archives
- USGenWeb Tombstone Transcription Project
- [https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/results#count=20&query=%2Bsubject%3AFlorida%2C+Citrus Family History Library Catalog]
- Citrus County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Citrus County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).