Clarke County, Alabama Genealogy
|Dates for major county records|
|For earlier dates, try...|
|Remember these collections|
|Clarke County, Alabama|
Location in the state of Alabama
Location of Alabama in the U.S.
|Founded||December 10, 1812|
|County Seat||Grove Hill|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Voting Registers
- 6 Societies and Libraries
- 7 Web Sites
- 8 References
County CourthouseClarke County Courthouse
114 Court Street,
Grove Hill, AL 36451
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records from 1814 and land records from 1820 Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records Health Clinic has birth and death records 
- Pine Crest Cemetery, Jackson BillionGraves
|Clarke County, Alabama|
|Sources: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. http://factfinder2.census.gov/faces/nav/jsf/pages/index.xhtml. through 1960|
For tips on accessing Clarke County, Alabama Genealogy census records online, see: Alabama Census.
Land and Property
To place a grant or deed on a map within context of Clarke County, Alabama Genealogy see:
- Boyd, Gregory A. Family Maps of Clarke County, Alabama: with Homesteads, Roads, Waterways, Towns, Cemeteries, Railroads, and More. Norman, Okla.: Arphax Pub. Co., 2008. This is a definitive work and can be used as an index to land grants. Digital version at HistoryGeo.com ($). Website includes free surname index. FHL Book 976.1245 E7b.
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Confederate Soldiers, 1861-1865
- Alabama, Civil War Service Records of Union Soldiers, 1861-1865
- 1816 - Inhabitants of Alabama in 1816. Broken Arrow Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, 1955. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online - free. Includes Clarke County.
- 1881-1930 - Alabama, Births and Christenings, 1881-1930 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1816-1957 - Alabama, Marriages, 1816-1957 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1881-1952 - Alabama, Deaths and Burials, 1881-1952 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- 1908-1974 - Alabama, Deaths, 1908-1974 FamilySearch Historical Records Collection
- There are no 1867 voting registers available for Clarke County.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- USGenWeb Archives Project ~ contains record transcriptions from Bibles, obituaries, court records and more.
- Clarke County ALGenWeb ~ record transcriptions and information pertinent to the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Clarke County, Alabama Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Clarke County p. 36. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).