Clay County, South Dakota Genealogy
Clay County, South Dakota genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Clay County, South Dakota|
Location in the state of South Dakota
Location of South Dakota in the U.S.
|Founded||April 10, 1862|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Clay County Courthouse
211 W Main Street PO Box 403
Vermillion, SD 57069
Register of Deeds has birth and death records from 1905,
marriage records from 1880, land records from 1863
and burial records from 1962; Clerk Court has probate records
from 1875, court records from 1866 and divorce records from 1889
1862--Clay County was created 10 April 1862 from unorganized territory.
County seat: Vermillion 
1905, 1915, 1925 State Censuses --Unique information could include: Ethnic Background, Maiden Name, Church Affiliation & Military Service
1905 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1915 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1925 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1935 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
1945 state census with images can be viewed free at FamilySearch Record Search
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002)Clay County, South Dakota, p.623
- "Henry Clay," Wikipedia.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).