Difference between revisions of "Clinton County, Michigan Genealogy"
(working on bread crumbs)
|Line 1:||Line 1:|
''[[United States|United States]] [[Michigan]] Clinton County''
== County Courthouse ==
== County Courthouse ==
Revision as of 21:56, 29 January 2013
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Clinton County Courthouse
100 E State St.
P. O. Box 69
St. Johns, MI 48879-1571
Phone: (517) 224-5140
County Clerk has bird and death records from 1867,
marriage records from 1839, divorce records from
early 1800’s and court records. 
- Named for DeWitt Clinton, U.S. Senator and Governor of New York
1831--Clinton County was created 2 March 1831 from unoganized territory. It was attached to Kent and Shiawassee Counties prior to organization 12 March 1869. County seat: St. Johns 
- Cities: DeWitt . East Lansing . Grand Ledge . St. Johns
- Villages: Eagle . Elsie . Fowler . Hubbardston . Maple Rapids . Ovid . Westphalia
- Townships: Bath . Bengal . Bingham . Dallas . DeWitt . Duplain . Eagle . Essex . Greenbush . Lebanon . Olive . Ovid . Riley . Victor . Watertown . Westphalia
- Communities: Bath . Eureka . Matherton . Shepardsville . Wacousta
- Duplain Cemetery, St. Johns
- Gunnisonville Cemetery, Lansing Charter Township
- Hurd Cemetery, DeWitt
- Maple Grove Cemetery, Ovid
- Mount Rest Cemetery, St. Johns
- Reed Cemetery, Laingsburg
- Riverside Cemetery, Elsie
- South Ovid Cemetery, St. Johns
- Wilsey Cemetery, DeWitt
Civil War service men from Clinton County served in various regiments. Men often joined a regiment or a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are the military units that were formed in or had many men from Clinton County.
- - 1st Regiment, Michigan Cavalry, Company D
- Michigan Birth Registrations, 1867-1902 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of child, birthdate and place, if still-born, illegitimate or twin, gender, race and record number.
- Michigan Marriage Registrations, 1868-1925 -- Free name indexes at FamilySearch. Records include such information as names of bride and groom, date of license, ages, race, residences, birthplaces, occupations and names of the fathers of the bride and groom.
- Michigan Death Registrations, 1867-1897 -- Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as name of deceased, date and place of death, gender, color, marital status, age in years, months and days, disease or apparent cause of death, birthplace, names and occupations of parents, and the date the record was made.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- The Clinton County MIGenWeb Project, an member of The MIGenWeb Project, an affiliate of The USGenWeb Project.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Clinton County, Michigan page 344, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).