Clinton County, Ohio Genealogy
|Clinton County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| Clinton County Courthouse|
46 S. South Street
Wilmington, Ohio 45177
Clinton County Website
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.10 Gazetteers
- 2.11 Genealogy
- 2.12 History
- 2.13 Land and Property
- 2.14 Maps
- 2.15 Military
- 2.16 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.17 Newspapers
- 2.18 Obituaries
- 2.19 Periodicals
- 2.20 Probate
- 2.21 Public Records
- 2.22 Repositories
- 2.23 Taxation
- 2.24 Vital Records
- 3 Web Sites
- 4 Places / Localities
- 5 References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Highland and Warren counties 19 February 1810.
- County Seat: Wilmington
- Neighboring Counties: Clinton County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Greene (north) · Fayette (northeast) · Brown (south) · Warren (west) · Highland (southeast)
See an interactive map of Clinton County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
Naturalization and Citizenship
Clinton County, Ohio Genealogy newspapers may contain genealogical value including obituaries, births, marriages, deaths, anniversaries, family gatherings, family travel, achievements, business notices, engagement information, and probate court proceedings.
To access newspapers, contact public libraries, Ohio Genealogical Society chapters, college or university libraries, the Library of Congress, Google News, or the Ohio Historical Society. The Ohio Genealogical Society Obituary Database is another source of newspaper information.
For more Ohio newspaper information see the Newspaper Guides on the wiki page Ohio Newspapers.
Online Newspaper Abstracts
Newspaper Extracts and Abstracts in Book Form
Clinton County Courthouse
46 S South Street
Wilmington, Oh 45177-2214
Probate Judge has birth and death records 1867-1908, marriage and probate records from 1810.
County Health Office has birth and death records from 1908.
County Recorder has land records from 1810.
Court Clerk has divorce and court records from 1810.
Family History Centers
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Ohio enacted a statute in 1856 -1857 requiring registration of births, deaths and marriages, many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1867 but, again, was not always followed. By 1908, the law was more clearly defined and kept. Any existing birth and death records from 1867 through December 19, 1908 are located at the Clinton County, Ohio Genealogy Probate Court. The Ohio Department of Health has birth records filed after December 20, 1908 and death records filed after January 1, 1954 while the Ohio Historical Society houses death records from December 20, 1908 through December 31, 1953.
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
Places / Localities
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 541, Clinton County, Ohio. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Clinton County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clinton_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).