Columbia County, Florida Genealogy
Guide to Columbia County Florida genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Columbia County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||February 4, 1832|
|County Seat||Lake City|
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Columbia County Courthouse
145 N Hernando St; PO Box 2069
Lake City, FL 32055
Clerk Circuit Court has birth records from 1943,
marriage and land records from 1875,
divorce and court recordsc from 1892
and probate records from 1895; Public
Health Unit has birth, death and burial records
1860, 1867, and 1874 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
- Clinch County, Georgia
- Echols County, Georgia
- Ware County, Georgia
- Florida Tombstone Transcription Project - USGenWeb
- Interment.net - Florida cemetery records by County
- Veterans Administration National Cemeteries - Florida National Cemeteries
For tips on accessing Columbia County, Florida Genealogy census records online, see: Florida Census.
- 1783 Spanish Census - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1885 Florida State Population Census - Includes sex, age, relationship, occupation, place of birth of each family member and parents. Also census for agriculture, manufacture and mortality.
- Federal Census Information from National Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service - USGenWeb Archives Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Lake City
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Columbia County, Florida Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps, University of South Florida
- Florida State Military Files - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Pension Transcriptions - Florida state pension records from various wars - USGenWeb Pension Project
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Columbia County, Florida Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Florida Obituaries - Obituary transcriptions from Florida counties - USGenWeb Obituaries Project
Probate records are held by the Columbia County, Florida Genealogy Clerk of Court and are housed at the Columbia County, Florida Genealogy Courthouse. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online. See also How to order Florida Vital Records
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1874-1885 - Columbia County Marriage Books A thru C, 3 Index 1874-1885. Batch M513011 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885-1893 - Columbia County Marriage Books D, 2 Index 1885-1893. Batch M736796 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1886 - Columbia County Marriage Books A thru C, 3 Index 1886. Batch M743124 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1893-1899 - Columbia County Marriage Book E Index 1893-1899. Batch M737504 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1904-1913 - Columbia County Marriage Book F Index 1904-1913. Batch M737506 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1913-1929 - Columbia County Marriage Books G and H Index 1913-1929. Batch M737495 at FamilySearch - free.
1845 voters registration list for Columbia County.
Societies and Libraries
- Florida State Historical Societies - Listing by County
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- Lake City Florida Family History Center
- Lake City, Florida
- Columbia County FLGenWeb
- Columbia County FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- Columbia County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- State of Florida
- Family History Library Catalog
- USGenWeb Project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Columbia County, Florida. Page 133 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/54/Igiflorida.pdf.