Difference between revisions of "Columbiana County, Ohio Genealogy"
(Added intro and headings)
(Added Vital Records intro)
|Line 140:||Line 140:|
==== Vital Records ====
==== Vital Records ====
===== Birth =====
===== Birth =====
Revision as of 21:56, 1 February 2013
|Columbiana County, Ohio|
Location of Ohio in the U.S.
|Address|| 105 S. Market St.|
Lisbon, Ohio 44432
- 1 Historical Facts
- 2 Resources
- 2.1 Bible Records
- 2.2 Biography
- 2.3 Business Records and Commerce
- 2.4 Cemeteries
- 2.5 Census
- 2.6 Church Records
- 2.7 Court Records
- 2.8 Emigration and Immigration
- 2.9 Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
- 2.10 Gazetteers
- 2.11 Genealogy
- 2.12 History
- 2.13 Land and Property
- 2.14 Maps
- 2.15 Military
- 2.16 Naturalization and Citizenship
- 2.17 Newspapers
- 2.18 Obituaries
- 2.19 Periodicals
- 2.20 Probate
- 2.21 Public Records
- 2.22 Repositories
- 2.23 Taxation
- 2.24 Vital Records
- 3 Web Sites
- 4 Places
- 5 References
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent Counties: Formed from Jefferson County 25 March 1803.
- County Seat: Lisbon
- Neighboring Counties: Columbiana County, Ohio Genealogy residents may also have records in Mahoning (north) · Jefferson (south) · Stark (west) · Carroll (southwest) · Beaver County, Pennsylvania (east) · Hancock County, West Virginia (southeast)
See an interactive map of Columbiana County boundary changes.
Business Records and Commerce
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- East Liverpool
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Land and Property
The following Civil War battle was fought in Meigs County.
- Map showing Civil War battles in Ohio.
- Civil War service men from Columbiana County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Columbiana County.
- - 104th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Companies B, C, F, G, and K
- - 105th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, Company H
Naturalization and Citizenship
Columbiana County, Ohio Genealogy newspapers may contain genealogical value including obituaries, births, marriages, deaths, anniversaries, family gatherings, family travel, achievements, business notices, engagement information, and probate court proceedings.
To access newspapers, contact public libraries, Ohio Genealogical Society chapters, college or university libraries, the Library of Congress, Google News, or the Ohio Historical Society. The Ohio Genealogical Society Obituary Database is another source of newspaper information.
For more Ohio newspaper information see the Newspaper Guides on the wiki page Ohio Newspapers.
Online Newspaper Abstracts
Newspaper Extracts and Abstracts in Book Form
Columbiana County Courthouse
105 S Market Street
Lisbon, OH 44432-1255
Court Clerk has divorce and court records.
Probate Judge has marriage and probate records.
County Recorder has land records.
Family History Centers
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. Although Ohio enacted a statute in 1856 -1857 requiring registration of births, deaths and marriages, many counties did not comply. A second law was written in 1867 but, again, was not always followed. By 1908, the law was more clearly defined and kept. Any existing birth and death records from 1867 through December 19, 1908 are located at the Columbiana County, Ohio Genealogy Probate Court. The Ohio Department of Health has birth records filed after December 20, 1908 and death records filed after January 1, 1954 while the Ohio Historical Society houses death records from December 20, 1908 through December 31, 1953.
Original marriage records are held at the office of the Columbiana County, Ohio Genealogy Probate Court with divorce records located with the Columbiana County, Ohio Genealogy Clerk of Courts.
- Ohio Deaths, 1908-1953 Free name indexes and images at FamilySearch. Records include such information as birth date of deceased, city, county, and state of death, name of spouse if married, names of parents, maiden name of mother, name of informant, if deceased was single, married, windowed or divorced, occupation of deceased.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 541, Columbiana County, Ohio. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- Wikipedia contributors, "Columbiana County, Ohio" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbiana_County,_Ohio (accessed 10 May 2012).
- Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 9 August, 2012)