Comanche County, Texas Genealogy
Guide to Comanche County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Comanche County, Texas|
Location in the state of Texas
Location of Texas in the U.S.
|Founded||January 25, 1856|
- 1 Comanche County
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Comanche County Courthouse
Comanche, TX 76442
County Clerk has birth, death and burial records from 1903,
marriage records from 1856, probate records from 1897,
court records from 1934 and land records from 1859
The area was part of the land grant to Stephen F. Austin, the first settlement was in 1854, development of area started about 1873.
Comanche | Comyn | Downing | Duster | Energy | Gustine | Hasse | Lake Proctor | Lamkin | Newburg | Proctor | Rucker | Sipe Springs | Vandyke
- Soda Springs Community Cemeteries, by James & Donna Chapman. Book tells the history of the families of this vanished community through the lives of those buried in the six cemeteries in the area: Taylor’s Chapel/Concord, Suggs, Copperas Creek, Martin Branch, Chaney, and Robertson. From Aaron to Wright, 670 individuals buried in the six cemeteries or living persons who have chosen their resting places and erected their tombstones are included in this volume. 420 Pages. Over 350 Pictures and Historical Photographs. Available from the Comanche Public Library.
- Amity Cemetery in Comanche County is included Rural Cemetery Inscriptions of Brown County Supplement updated 1970-2002. Available from the Brown County Historical Society
- Tombstone Transcription Project ~ Partial transcription of cemetery tombstones ~ USGenWeb
- Texas Historic Cemeteries ~ Partial indexes to historic cemeteries
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
- Blazing the Way: Tales of Comanche County Pioneers by Eulalia Nabers Wells, 1942.
- Patchwork of Memories: Historical Sketches of Comanche County, Texas by the Comanche County Bicentennial Committee, 1976.
- Comanche County History: Comanche County Family Histories, 2 volumes, by Fredda Davis Jones, 2008.
- 101 Places to See in and Around Comanche, 101 contemporary views photographed by the 2008-09 students of the Comanche ISD Gifted and Talented Program, grades 1-5. Available from the Comanche Public Library
- Texas Museums ~ List of all museums in Texas ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Historical Maps ~ From the Republic to the Turn of the Century ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the TXGenweb site
- Military Resources ~ Links to research Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Fallen Heroes ~ Partial Index of casualties from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Honoring Our Veterans ~ Partial index of veterans from Civil War to Operation Enduring Freedom ~ Hidden Ancestors
- The Comanche Chief Newspaper published weekly
- DeLeon Free Press
- Early Comanche County Newspapers excerpts from 1876-1930, from the Comanche Public Library website
- Comanche County Newspapers on Microfilm, available for viewing at the Comanche Public Library:
- Comanche Chief, 1879-1882, 1912-present.
- De Leon Free Press, 1923-1940, 1947-present.
- De Leon Monitor, Aug 1995-Dec 2001
- Home Town News - Texas Newspaper Index with links
- Newslink - Texas Newspaper List (sorted by publication frequency)
- The Olden Times - Historic Texas News Online
- Obituary Resources ~ Links to research and locate obituaries ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Texas
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Texas Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Project ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Search Tax, Criminal, Land and Wills Records ~ Ancestry.com (subscription)
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 Texas, Death Index, 1964-1998 (FamilySearch Historical Records) Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Marriage Records 1966 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 ~ Hidden Ancestors
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Texas 1850 - 1930
Societies and Libraries
- Comanche County Genealogical Society meets the second Tuesday of each month at the Comanche County Historical Museum, 402 Moorman Road, Comanche, Texas
- Comanche Public Library
311 N. Austin Street
Comanche, Texas 76442
- Society Hill ~ Links and addresses to Texas genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county.
- Hidden Ancestors Information on Texas genealogy research as well as genealogy research in general.
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Comanche County, Texas. Page 661 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
FamilySearch Historical Record Collections
An online collection conatining this record is located inFamilySearch.org
A wiki article describing this collection is found at: