Conejos County, Colorado Genealogy
|This article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
Please review the contributor help to assist you in editing.
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places / Localities
- 4 === Populated Places
The Conejos County Courthouse was built in June 1890, it was destroyed by fire in 1980, at which time it was rebuilt.
1861--Conejos County was created 1 November 1861 as an original county under the name of Guadalupe. The name was changed to Conejos 7 November 1869. County seat: Conejos 
The county land records 1878-1936 and all other county records were lost when the courthouse burned in 1980, except for the Grantee and Grantor books. There are a few marriage records of the late 1940's that remain.
Places / Localities
=== Populated Places
- Fox Creek
- La Jara
- Las Mesitas
- Los Cerritos
- Los Sauces
- Antonito Cemetery
- Church-Capulin Cemetery
- Gomez-Capulin Cemetery
- New Capulin Cemetery
- Conejos Cemetery
- Fox Creek Cemetery (North side of Fox Creek)
- La Jara Cemetery (US Hwy 285, North of La Jara)
- Las Mesitas Cemetery
- Los Cerritos Cemetery
- Los Sauces Catholic Cemetery "Gateway To Heaven"
- Los Sauces Pinacostal Cemetery
- Lobatos Cemetery
- New Manassa Cemetery, (South side of "M" Mountain)
- Old Manassa Cemetery, (South end of Fifth Street, Manassa)
- Martinez Cemetery
- Mogote Cemetery
- Nance Cemetery, (West and South of the Old Manassa Cemetery)
- Ortiz Cemetery
- New Ortiz Cemetery
- Presbyterian Church Cemetery
- San Antonio Cemetery
- Sanford Cememtery, County Rd. 19 (1881-current)
- Seventh-Day Adventist Cemetery
- Sowards Cemetery, (West of the Old Manassa Cemetery)
- Valdez Cemetery
LDS Ward and Branch Records
- Conejos Branch 1878-1879
- Eastdale Ward 1894-1908
- La Jara Ward (see Richfield Ward)
- Fox Creek Branch 1893-1894
- Manassa Ward 1892-1897, 1907-1948
- Manassa 1 Ward
- Manassa 2 Ward 1920-1928
- Mesita Branch
- Morgan Branch 1934-1942
- Mountain View Branch 1889-1896
- Richfield Ward 1884-1941
- Romeo Ward 1936-1948
- Sanford Ward 1888-1948
Existing LDS Wards and Branches
- La Jara 1 Ward
- Fox Creek Branch
- Manassa 1 Ward
- Manassa 2 Ward
- Manassa 3 Ward
- Sanford 1 Ward
- Sanford 2 Ward
- San Luis Branch
The Colorado State Archives has put a name only index to the Conjeos County Divorce Records for the period 7/13/1899 to 9/20/1915 on-line.
- 1878 - current, Grantee & Grantor books, Conejos County Clerk, 719-274-5422.
- Land records 1936 - current, ibid
- Misc. Family Collection in Family History Center, La Jara, Colorado, 719-274-4024
The Colorado State Archives has put an Index to the Conejos County World War II Enlistments on-line.
The following are on microfilm located in the Family History Center, located in La Jara, Colorado. 719-274-4032.
- The Antonito Ledger (June 1892 - Oct 1972)
- The La Jara Chronicle (Oct 1904 - Dec 1911)
- The La Jara Enterprise (April 1914 - April 1917)
- The La Jara Gazette (April 1916 - Dec 1982)
- The Conejos County Citizen (Jan 1983 - Oct 1993)
- The Conejos County Citizen (July 1996 - Oct 1997)
Colorado State Archives has the Conejos County Inheritance Tax Records Index (1918-1923) online
- Conejos County Old Vital Records, are kept in the Alamosa County Courthouse, 719-589-6681.
Societies and Libraries
Conejos County Library District
17703 Hwy 285
La Jara, CO 81140
Phone: (719) 274-5858
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints Family History Center
716 Broadway St
La Jara, Conejos, Colorado, United States
This is not a mailing address. Due to limited staff, Family History Centers are unable to respond to mail inquiries.
Contact Center for open hours as they vary.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).