Connecticut Land and Property
Land in colonial Connecticut was granted by the Connecticut General Court. Most of these grants were to proprietors. Proprietors' records are at the Connecticut State Archives or at the town halls. Later deeds, mortgages, releases, and other related documents were recorded by the town clerk and are at the town halls. Most are indexed by grantor and grantee. There is no statewide index.
The Family History Library and the Connecticut State Library have microfilm copies of many proprietors' and town records from the earliest years to the mid or late 1800s. Some are as recent as the 1900s. They are listed in the Family History Library Catalog under the name of the town. From Hartford, for example, the library has 117 microfilms of proprietors' records (1639-1753), deeds (1678-1901), and general indexes (1639-1865).