Connecticut Land and Property
Later deeds, mortgages, releases, and other related documents were recorded by the town clerk and are at the town halls. Most are indexed by grantor and grantee. There is no statewide index.
The Family History Library and the Connecticut State Library have microfilm copies of many proprietors' and town records from the earliest years to the mid or late 1800s. Some are as recent as the 1900s. They are listed in the Family History Library Catalog under the name of the town.
Early Land Records
Four small collections of early records are:
- Judd, Sylvester, comp., Judd Manuscripts (Connecticut). Includes land, vital and town records, 1635 to 1850 with an index. (Microfilm of manuscript at Forbes Public Library, Northampton, Hampshire County, Massachusetts. Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1960.) three films 234515 to 234517 with index on film 250287. <br>
- Colonial Land Records of Connecticut, 1640-1846, Including Patents, Deeds, and Surveys of Land, Includes a partial index. (Microfilm of originals at the Connecticut State Library in Hartford, Connecticut. Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1954.) three films, 3656 to 3658.
- Judd, Sylvester and Connecticut State Library. Land Lotteries and Divorces of Connecticut, 1755 to 1789, with Index. (Microfilm of originals at the Connecticut State Library in Hartford, Connecticut. Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1954.) two films 3617 and 3618. <br>
- Winthrop, Robert C. Robert C. Winthrop Collection, Connecticut Manuscripts, 1631-1794. (Microfilm of originals at the Connecticut State Library in Hartford, Connecticut. Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1954.) one film 3644.
In Connecticut, land records have always been kept by the town clerks at the town halls. The Connecticut State Library and the Family History Library have films for most towns to about 1900. Search their records for the towns.
- Connecticut State Archives has a Research Guide to Connecticut Land Records
- Connecticuct Land Records and Deeds Directory, by Online Searches, accessed 11/16/2010 has addresses, phone numbers, etc. for the town offices with land records.