Coos Bay Oregon Family History Center
|This article describes the services and resources available at a Family History Center, a branch facility of the Family History Library.|
The Coos Bay Family History Center is located close to the North Bend Regional Airport with a lovely view of the ocean. The building is on the east side of Virginia Avenue less than a mile west of the Pony Village Mall. Open three days a week, including 2 evenings. All librarians are capable of helping patrons with basic research and New.FamilySearch questions. Most librarians are capable of helping patrons with intermediate & advanced research.
- 1 Center Contacts and Hours
- 2 Calendar and Events
- 3 Center Resources
- 4 Center Services
- 5 Resources in the Local Area
- 6 Links
- 7 Volunteer at the Center
Center Contacts and Hours
Location & Map:
- Address: 3355 Virginia Avenue, North Bend, OR 97459
- Access is by single door on south side of building, go down steps to door. Handicap access on east end of building (please call ahead to arrange for east doors to be opened).
- Location on Map
Phone: 541-756-3575 (Call during Family History Center hours)
- Tuesday - 10am to 9pm
- Wednesday - 10 to 9pm (call to confirm evening hours)
- Call in case of severe inclement weather
- Closed last half of December, until after 1 January
- Closed July 4
- Closed Wednesday & Friday of Thanksgiving Week
Calendar and Events
Upcoming Events: 20th Annual Family History Seminar, 5 Nov 2011, 16 to 20 classes available from Beginning to Advanced
- Family History Library Catalog: This center has the ability to order any of the films and fiche available through the Family History Library Catalog.
- Extensive collection of material, both book and microfilms, for Coos county. Many books on other Oregon counties, expecially Douglas, Curry and Lane.
- FHC Portal: This center has access to the Family History Center Portal page which gives free access in the center to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions. Hardware and Equipment
- We have 5 computers, Film/Fiche readers, printers, copiers (including film copier).
Staff Research Specialties
Librarian specialists include:
- Swedish & Norwegian research
- Hungarian research
- German Research
- New England research
- Ontario & Western Canadian provinces research
- Quaker Ancestors research
- Coos County research
- Native American research
- Immigrant Ancestors research.
Resources in the Local Area
- The Coos County Courthouse allows patron access to land records, marriage & divorce records, and early court records. 250 N Baxter St, Coquille, OR 97423; 541-396-31121
- The Coos County Historical Society Museum has an extensive collection of photographs, diaries and other county specific records. 1220 Sherman Ave, North Bend, OR 97420; 541-756-6320
- The Marshfield Sun Museum makes all their early newspapers available and is also very helpful in showing the process of creating newspapers from that era.
Volunteer at the Center
Love to have anyone interested in creating indexes from mortuary books and/or logging in new books. Call the center and ask for Jennifer or Connie Irick.