Cottonwood County, Minnesota Genealogy
Guide to Cottonwood County Minnesota genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Cottonwood County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||May 23, 1857|
|Address|| Cottonwood County Courthouse|
900 3rd Avenue
Windom, MN 56101
Cottonwood County Website
- 1 County Courthouse
- 2 History
- 3 Places/Localities
- 4 Resources
- 5 Societies and Libraries
- 6 Web Sites
- 7 References
Clerk District Court has birth, marriage, death, divorce and court records from 187. 1
- 1857--Cottonwood County was created 23 May 1857 from Brown County. County seat: Windom 
- For a brief history of how Cottonwood County was named, click here. Then select Cottonwood County.
Amboy Township | Amo Township | Ann Township | Carson Township | Dale Township | Delton Township | Germantown Township | Great Bend Township | Highwater Township | Lakeside Township | Midway Township | Mountain Lake Township | Rose Hill Township | Selma Township | Southbrook Township | Springfield Township | Storden Township | Westbrook Township
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Highwater Lutheran Church, Lamberton
- Records of Highwater Lutheran Church, Lamberton, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Cottonwood – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Cottonwood County, Minnesota Genealogy. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Cottonwood County, Minnesota Genealogy newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online ($) or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Cottonwood County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- Family History Library Catalog
- Cottonwood County GenWeb
- Cyndi's List: Cottonwood County
- Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Cottonwood County, Minnesota page 363, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.