County Kilkenny, Ireland Genealogy
Kilkenny is an inland county in the province of Leinster. The name Kilkenny is taken from the Gaelic Cill Cheannaigh, which translates as the Church of Canice. St. Canice established a monastery in the area during the sixth century and St. Canice's Cathedral was built in Kilkenny City during the thirteenth century; the second largest cathedral in “Ireland”. The county covers 796 square miles (2,062 sq km). Its length is 45 miles from the bend of the river Suir (west of Waterford City) to the north at the townland of Clogh. Its breadth is 23 miles.
In the early seventeenth century, Kilkenny City became the meeting place of an independent Irish government, called the Confederation of Kilkenny, which was created in opposition to the English-controlled parliament in Dublin. This rebellion ended in 1650 by Cromwell. Cromwell used the St. Canice's Cathedral in Kilkenny City to house his horses. Cromwell’s army brought to a close what is arguably the most distinguished period in the county’s history when the Confederation fell.
The population was 181,946 in 1821 and grew to 202,420 in 1841. It then began to decrease to 158,748 in 1851 and was only 70,965 in 1926. In 2006, the population was 87,558. The predominant religion in the county is Roman Catholic. In 1861, 94.9% of the population was Roman Catholic followed by the Church of Ireland at 4.8% with 0.2% being Presbyterian and 0.1% being Methodists. Overtime there has been little change in the percentage of religous preference. In 1911, Roman Catholics represented 94.97%% of the populaton; the Church of Ireland was 4.48% with 0.28% and 0.10% being Presbyterian and Methodist, respectively.
General County Research Information
Further information about County Kilkenny is available at the GenUKI site.
Transcribed by the late E. Walsh Kelly and edited by Ffolliott, Rosemary. The 1821 Census Returns for the Parishes of Aglish and Portnascully. Covers Aglish Townland, Ballyslough (Mountneill Townland) Portnahully Townland, Parish of Portnascully, Curlody Townland, Grengrant Townland, Liquidstown Townland, Luffany Townland, Portnasully Townland.1821 only. Article in The Irish Ancestor, vol. VIII.no.2.1976, pages 113-124. Family History Library Ref. 941.5 B2i v7-8.
Civil Jurisdictions and Parish Research Information
A map of the Civil Parishes of County Kilkenny is available at Irish Times site.
Punch, Terrence. A Note on John Skerry A Kilkenny Emigrant to Canada. Genealogy of John Skerry in Ireland, of Ballyhale Parish, and Canada covering years 1763-1838. Article in The Irish Ancestor, vol. IV no.2, 1972, page 86-89. Family History Ref. 941.5 B2i
collected by Ffolliott, Rosemary. Some Game Licences of 1802. A list of names, places of abode who took out Certificates of Game Licences issued in 1802, covering Counties Armagh, Clare, Down, Kilkenny, Louth and Tipperary. Article in The Irish Ancestor, vol.VIII. no.1. 1976. pages 35-47, Family History Library Ref. 941.5 B2i v7-8.
De Breffny, Brian. Businessmen Who Issued Tokens in Ireland 1653-1679. Due to an acute shortage of small change after the death of Charles 1, tradesmen, innkeepers and some local authorities began minting their own substitutes in the form of private tokens. This list of 800 names, gives occupation and place. Article in the Irish Ancestor, vol.X. no.1. 1978, pages 51-60. Family History Library Ref. 941.5 B2i vol.10-11
Abstract of Wills. Article is a collection of Abstracts of Wills collected from many sources, and covers years 1654-1837. It includes Richard Jacob, of City of Kilkenny dated 13 Nov. 1741, proved at Ossory 16 Oct. 1742. Article found in The Irish Ancestor, vol.II, no.2, 1970 pages 117-127, Family History Library Ref. 941.5 B2i
To view a list of Kilkenny web sites, visit FHLFavorites.info for some great sites.