Court of the Chancery of the Archbishop of York
Return to the Lancashire Probate Records page.
- 1 Location of These Probate Records
- 2 Historical Background
- 3 Starting Your Search in Indexes
- 4 Probate Indexes
- 5 Searching for probates in this court.
- 6 Strategies, Tips, Other?
Location of These Probate Records
Borthwick Institute for Archives
University of York
York YO10 5DD
Tel. (0)1904 321166
Opening Times: Mon-Fri 9:15am - 4:45pm
The Court of the Chancery of the Archbishop of York diealt with appeals from the lower courts from York, and the dioceses of Lancaster, Chester, Durham and Sodor and Man (Isle of Man). When a search of this courts’ probate records fails to provide the desired probate record, be sure to search the Court of the Peculiar of the Dean and Chapter of York as well.
Starting Your Search in Indexes
1. First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find the will, writing down each detail cited in the indexed entry.
2. Proceed then to the "Probate Records of This Court" section (see below) to determine what original probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit the Lancashire Record Office, or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf, citing information obtained from the index[es]. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. You can also visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes (see the Family History Library's cataloged entries providing the microfilms so you can have them circulated to the center near you for searching the wills). The information obtained from the index[es] will help you more quickly search the wills and admons which can also be circulated on microfilm via any family history .
Surviving wills and admons to the Court of the Chancery of the Archbishop of York probate records have to some extent been indexed with the following ones:
Printed and Published Indexes
Index of Original Wills for the Court of the Chancery of the Archbishop of York, A.D. 1427-1858 containing original wills, administrations from 1316-1822, in the Yorkshire Archaeological Society Record Series volume 93.
Indexes to Yorkshire wills are beginning to come online. Yorkshire will indexes online are only available at britishorigins for the following years:
Medieval Probate Index - 1267- 1500
Peculiar Courts Probate Index - 1383-1883
Exchequer and Prerogative Courts of the Archbishop of York - 1842-1858
Original Handwritten Indexes
Manuscript indexes exist from 1438-1728 and, 1650-1858.
Index of Original Wills and Administrations 1660-1724; 1731-1745; 1808-1858
Index to Original wills, bonds, inventories 1316-1857
Microfilmed Indexes at the Family History Library
Searching for probates in this court.
This court's jurisdiction applies to persons with bona notabilia (property and effects) in more than one diocese within the northern Province of York, which includes all of the dioceses of York, Carlisle, Chester, Sodor and Man (Isle of Man), Durham and Lancaster. If probate records are not found in this court, be certain to search the Court of the Dean and Chapter of York. The records for this court include as follows:
ORIGINAL WILLS, ADMINISTRATIONS (ADMONS), BONDS, INVENTORIES, TUITIONS 1427-1858
REGISTER OF COPY WILLS 1389-1558
ACT BOOKS 1502-1858
REGISTER OF TUITIONS AND CURATIONS 1592-1639
REGISTER OF ORIGINAL WILLS DECREED OUT OF COURT 1777-1833
CAVEAT BOOKS 1521-1859
CITATION BOOKS 1611-1695
COMMISSION BOOKS (GRANTS OF PROBATE & ADMINISTRATION FOR CLERGY, EXECUTORS, ADMINISTRATORS, CONFERRING OF CURATION AND TUITION OF MINORS, WITNESSES) 1611-1683
CHANCERY AND AUDIENCE RECORDS 1525-1640
Strategies, Tips, Other?
See the above Indexes or those available through the Family History Library or its many family history centers worldwide for an index to this court.
To view a list of parishes and their respective probate court jurisdiction, see the "Lancashire Parishes and Their Probate Jurisdictions" on the main page for Lancashire Probate Records.