Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Winchester in the Archdeaconry of Surrey
Step By Step
1. First search indexes (see below). Indexes help you more quickly find the will or admon, so write down each detail cited in an indexed entry.
2. Proceed to "Records" (below) to determine what probate records exist for this court.
3. Contact or visit The Guildhall Library, or, hire a professional record searcher to view these records on your behalf. Officials may send upon request a list of record searchers.
4. Or, you can visit The Family History Library, or, one of its 4,500 satellite family history centers worldwide and search indexes (see the Family History Library's cataloged entries providing the microfilms so you can have them circulated to the center near you for searching the wills). The information obtained from the index[es] will help you more quickly search the wills and admons which can also be circulated on microfilm via any family history center worldwide.
First search each index (see below) to help you more quickly find a will or administration (admon).
The Consistory Court of London probate records have to some extent been indexed with the following ones:
There are online indexes containing wills from County Surrey. These are as follows:
- The Metropolitan Archives and Library is currently compiling and posting online a will surname index covering wills and administrations from 1363 to 1857. Currently, it is only a (partial) index for this probate court covering much of Middlesex County and a portion of County Surrey and is available online, with approximately 35,000 wills listed so far (return and search it, often).
- London, England, Wills and Probate, 1507-1858 at Ancestry ($) includes Commissary Court of Bishop of Winchester and Court of Surrey. Indexes and images.
- Surrey Plus Wills Index with approximately 3,000 wills currently online (for Surrey).
Printed and Published Indexes
- Probate indexes for the probate courts in Surrey 1484 to 1857 have been compiled by the West Surrey County History Society in its outstanding publication offerings. These publications are likely available in many major United States (especially university libraries) and United Kingdom Archives and libraries as well as in The Family History Library (see below).
- A comprehensive will and admon index to most of London's (including Greater L.) probate courts for the years covering 1750-1858, and surnames A-F, is Dr David Wright's London Probate Index on CD and is on sale. He will provide a search service in his indexes for you for surnames covering G-Z at a set fee. His indexes may hold a few Surrey wills.
Original Handwritten Indexes
Indexes to Wills (1484 to 1858) to this probate court exist covering Wills and Administrations (Admons).
The above indexes are available for purchase, or they can be accessed by visiting most major research libraries and archives throughout the UK and in many countries throughout the world. To view what precise probate records they hold before visiting [their archives], go to Access2Archives and use their search engine for determining availability of records in archives, libraries and repositories throughout the world.
Microfilmed Indexes at the Family History Library
Calendars and Indexes of Wills and Admons (Administrations) to the Commissary Court of Winchester in the Archdeaconry Court of Surrey are available on microfilm at the Family History Library covering the years 1362-1857 and may be circulated to each of its satellite Family History Centers.
Opening Times: Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9.30am - 4.45pm
Tuesday and Thursday 9.30am - 7.30pm
Saturday openings: 9.30am - 4.45pm
Check website for specific Saturdays to be open.
Add information about the manuscript, printed and digital records in this location.
Calendar and Index of Wills 1662-1857
Register Copy Wills 1674-1696; 1729-1857
Original Administrations 1663-1728
Act Books 1662-1858
Act Indexes - 1662-1858
For access to these records, e-mail the archive for a list of record searchers or visit the archive according to their scheduled opening hours.
Family History Library Records
Search the following probate records in the order listed below:
- Act Books 1662-1858
- Calendar of Wills & Administrations 1662-1858 (included with Act Bks)
- Original wills, 1663-1728
- Registered Copy Wills 1674-1696; 1729-1858
The Court of the Commissary of the Bishop of Winchester in the Archdeaconry of Surrey had jurisdiction over the whole county of Surrey, except the peculiar courts. When a search of this courts’ probate records fails to provide the desired probate record, be sure to search the Archdeaconry Court of Surrey as well.