Coventry St John the Baptist, Warwickshire Genealogy
Coventry, is an ancient city, in the hundred of Knightlow, Warwickshire, it is 10 miles N E of Warwick, and 18 miles S E from Birmingham. it contains the hamlets of Radford, Whitley, and Keresley. It is bounded on the north-east by the river Sherbourne and the Radford brook. The city comprises the parishes of St. Michael, the Holy Trinity, and St. John the Baptist and St. Peter. The church was, formerly a chapel. There are places of worship in the town for congregations of Baptists, the Society of Friends, Independents, Wesleyans, Unitarians, and Roman Catholics.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Contributor: Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts, non conformist and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 464186.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Warwickshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 702-710.Adapted. Accessed November 14, 2013.