Covington is a city in and the parish seat of St. Tammany Parish, Louisiana. Covington is part of the New Orleans–Metairie–Kenner Metropolitan Statistical Area.
The earliest known settlement by Europeans in the area was in 1800 by Jacques Dreux. John Wharton Collins, a New Orleans merchant by way of New York, founded the City of Covington in 1813 as the Town of Wharton. The city was formally incorporated in 1816 by the state legislature and renamed Covington.