Crantock, Cornwall Genealogy
Guide to Crantock, Cornwall family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
CRANTOCK (St. Cadock), a parish, in the union of St. Columb Major, hundred of Pyder, W. division of Cornwall, 1 mile (S. W.) from New Quay. There are two places of worship for Wesleyans.
Crantock (Cornish: Lanngorrek) St Carantocis an Ancient parish in Cornwall
A church existed on the site before the Norman Conquest and dates back to the time of St Carantoc in the 6th century. The earliest features of the existing church are Norman. A collegiate church was founded on the site by Bishop William Briwere of Exeter in the early 13th century. In 1224 the choir was reconstructed and a tower was added. In 1412 the tower collapsed and was rebuilt. Following the dissolution of the monasteries the college was closed. In the 18th century the roofs and windows were restored. This was followed by a restoration in the late 19th century and another restoration between 1902 and 1907 by Edmund H. Sedding.
The modern parish is part of the Crantock with Cubert group in the Diocese of Truro.
Births, marriages and deaths kept by the government from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is Free BMD.
Crantock, Cornwall Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Crantock, Cornwall Genealogy Parish Online Records|
||1682-1804, 1813-1936|| |
|FS PRs||1559-1721||1559-1721, 1837-1906||1559-1721|
Overview, Include the information for parish registers and Bishop's Transcripts, Contact informatioin for the office holding the original records, Links to the Family History Library Catalog showing film numbers in their collection.
Images of parish registers are available online in historic records (formerly Record Search) Images refer to Cornwall County Record Office reference: P 40
Cornwall Online Parish Clerks
An extremely useful resource is the Cornwall Online Parish Clerks page for the parish http://www.cornwall-opc.org/Par_new/a_d/crantock.php
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241271.
Poor Law Unions
Genealogy and History Websites
- Lewis, Samuel A., A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 717-720. Date accessed: 11 March 2013
- Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- 'Coverage by Parish,' Cornwall Online Parish Clerks, accessed 2 December 2013.
- 'Cornwall Baptisms', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Marriages', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- 'Cornwall Burials', Find My Past, accessed 25 November 2013.
- Cornwall Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 18 November 2013.
- 'England, Cornwall and Devon Parish Registers, 1538-2010', FamilySearch, accessed 26 November 2013.
- Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Cornwall, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 22 November 2013.
- Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes. Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.